The Flatiron School is seeking a Engineering Director to help support our growing organization.
Technology is an an integral part of Flatiron’s ability to successfully grow and maintain our student outcomes. This Engineering Director will be a technical leader implementing the technical strategy needed to serve the dynamic needs of a quickly growing organization.
Reporting to the Vice President of Engineering but working with engineering leaders, this role will help map a coherent technical vision necessary to scale every part of our business from acquisition, admissions, education, curriculum and career services - ultimately to maintain our exceptional outcomes for students as we grow.
The ideal candidate has been in both the trenches and the boardroom. You are comfortable leading from behind but also defending your opinion. The core part of this role is to ensure that our operations scale given our growing technical demands.
- Lead and coach a diverse set of engineering managers and engineers by setting our technical vision, mentoring and embodying the values of our team.
- Set our technical vision that lines up with the evolving business needs of the organization and execute on that vision by coordinating a strategy with our staff engineers and technical leads.
- Oversee our scaling efforts by functionally managing our Data Engineering and DevOps operations.
- Advocate for improved product quality by championing for paying down technical debt and proactively addressing technical concerns.
- Partner with product and engineering leaders to estimate and plan for large scale technical initiatives.
What type of person will succeed in this role?
You are a leader with prior technical leadership experience who is excited by the opportunity of enabling the organization to scale its technology growth. You are an empathetic listener and can connect with engineers of all levels. You are a strong communicator comfortable presenting your ideas both to your superiors and your reports.
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School teaches passionate, creative people how to code. We’ve been teaching since 2012, and now we’re developing software and programs to bring our successful curriculum to more students. We are more than just a school — we are a team of mission-driven individuals trying to align education with reality. Over our five years as a school, we’ve helped over one thousand students learn to code and launch careers in tech. To achieve these outcomes, we’ve never let ourselves stop growing – we’ve constantly iterated on our curriculum, evolved our teaching techniques, and created technology to improve our students’ learning experience.
For the next step in our growth, Flatiron School has joined the WeWork family. In WeWork, we’ve found a partner who shares the mission we’ve had since the beginning: to enable passionate people to learn the skills they need to pursue careers and lives they love. And that mission won’t change. As part of WeWork, we look forward to working together to expand our in-person and online programs and further increase accessibility to our transformative education.
The engineering team is unique. We are made up of 30 developers who are mostly of former Flatiron School students and need no explanation as to the life changing impact of the product we build. We host a weekly technical book club, write blog posts, speak at conferences and over-index on helpfulness. Our people managers focus on servant leadership and our individual contributors choose their manager.
We are an inclusive workplace which celebrates diversity. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Benefits at Flatiron School:
- World-class insurance (health, dental, vision, life, and disability)
- Discounts on gym memberships, travel, hotels, cell phone plans, and more lifestyle perks
- Retirement savings plans
- Flatiron-specific company events, as well as events and retreats as part of the WeWork family
- Participation in our equity incentive plan
- Commuter benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Unlimited sick days
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School is a coding bootcamp with online and in-person courses that teach students real developer skills. Start one of Flatiron School’s job-guaranteed courses for Web and iOS Development, Certificate Courses, or Free Courses, and join a community of students passionate about learning to love code.
Go behind the scenes and see how Flatiron School is changing higher education!
Be a Better Flatiron School Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Flatiron School when you watch classes taught by their top employees.