We are seeking a General Counsel to lead legal and compliance functions and contribute to strategy and decision making at our rapidly growing company. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the General Counsel will be directly involved in all corporate matters including complex academic licensing projects, establishing and maintaining a company-wide compliance framework, acquisition integration and general contracting and employee matters.
- Serve as a resource for informed decision-making and creative problem-solving
- Assume responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Build an efficient and high performing internal legal team
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters
- Assist in the legal, licensing and compliance aspects of integrating newly acquired education entities
- Review and negotiate commercial contracts
- Oversee the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel
- Coordinate with WeWork legal team to leverage corporate resources where appropriate
- Keep informed, and advise on potential impacts, of proposed changes to laws and regulations
What we’re looking for
- 15+ years of legal experience with increasing responsibility which demonstrates a capacity to drive projects and advise executives on the implementation of sound solutions to regulatory, compliance and other legal issues.
- A combination experience in private practice from a well-respected law firm and experience as in-house counsel (either as General Counsel, Associate/Deputy General Counsel or VP, Legal)
- Excellent analytical, negotiation and drafting skills, with strong oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to work in a dynamic environment with changing priorities
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams; collaborative work style
- Experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources
- Experience in employment law, regulatory and compliance strategy
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School teaches passionate, creative people how to code. We’ve been teaching since 2012, and now we’re developing software and programs to bring our successful curriculum to more students. We are more than just a school — we are a team of mission-driven individuals trying to align education with reality. Over our five years as a school, we’ve helped over one thousand students learn to code and launch careers in tech. To achieve these outcomes, we’ve never let ourselves stop growing – we’ve constantly iterated on our curriculum, evolved our teaching techniques, and created technology to improve our students’ learning experience.
For the next step in our growth, Flatiron School has joined the WeWork family. In WeWork, we’ve found a partner who shares the mission we’ve had since the beginning: to enable passionate people to learn the skills they need to pursue careers and lives they love. And that mission won’t change. As part of WeWork, we look forward to working together to expand our in-person and online programs and further increase accessibility to our transformative education.
Benefits at Flatiron School
- World-class insurance (health, dental, vision, life, and disability)
- Generous retirement savings plans
- Flatiron-specific company events, as well as events and retreats as part of the WeWork family
- Participation in our equity incentive plan
- Commuter benefits
- Paid vacation and holidays
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School is a coding bootcamp with online and in-person courses that teach students real developer skills. Start one of Flatiron School’s job-guaranteed courses for Web and iOS Development, Certificate Courses, or Free Courses, and join a community of students passionate about learning to love code.
Go behind the scenes and see how Flatiron School is changing higher education!
Be a Better Flatiron School Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Flatiron School when you watch classes taught by their top employees.