What We Look for in Teachers:
The goal of any instructor is to drive outcomes. As the lead of a course, the buck stops with you, but we are looking for people that LOVE TEACHING. We make it a mission to seek out teachers who can infect, infuse and inspire with passion, wisdom, positivity, and humor. They show students how to love what they do, and how to better love who they are.
The Lead Web Development Instructor will:
- Make No Little Plans
- Build for scale by planning, writing, and delivering lectures in accordance with the progress and pace of the class.
- Pilot our experimental efforts in curriculum and pedagogical style pursuing our collective unending quest to provide the best experience and most positive outcomes.
- Develop and lead student project sprints throughout the semester.
- Radiate Positivity
- Create a safe and collaborative environment where students understand that helping their peers betters their own experience.
- Find what to love. Leverage passion as a force for motivation by sharing what you are passionate about with your students and working those topics into lesson plans as appropriate.
- Be Scrappy
- Embrace change and thrive in ambiguity by helping students and staff with real time efforts, like debugging a student’s project or assignment, while devoting time and effort to developing the macro learning plan.
- Move quickly by prepare your own lectures but anticipating last minutes changes based on the class' progress and learning goals.
- Pursue Mastery
- Use feedback from students gathered via class surveys to greatly exceed the minimum bar.
- Integrate feedback from team members on progress of class to set pacing and determine tactical interventions.
- Work Together
- Provide feedback to team members by conducting weekly 1 on 1s and overcommunciating on a daily basis.
- Empower others to succeed by conducting interviews for instructors and students for future cohorts.
Qualifications for Lead Web Development Instructor:
A lead instructor must qualify for BOTH of the following requirements:
- Prior experience teaching code to a class of students
About Flatiron Students:
Every class is a culture. We don’t fill seats – we assemble cultures – bringing together unique individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We encourage a collaborative, buzzing, challenging environment thick with inspiration and encouragement.
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School runs technical training in NYC designed to give great people the skills they need to build great things. Our core programs are 12 weeks, full-time, and focused on Web Development and iOS, but we've also done everything from corporate training to teaching high school kids. We've partnered with NYC to provide free training to underrepresented groups in the tech community via the NYC Web Development Fellowship. We bring together incredible people with backgrounds ranging from investment bankers and spinal surgeons to Major League Baseball players, cartoonists and sky-diving instructors, who are passionate about technology. Our graduates are now working at startups like Artsy, Handybook and Venmo, to larger companies like Boeing and The New York Times.
Read about us in the PRESS
On AVC by Fred Wilson - Finding ROI in Higher Education
On Bloomberg News - Coding: Preparing Students for the New Economy
- We provide a fully funded health, dental and vision plan for employees (nothing comes out of your paycheck)
- Open and flexible time off policy
- Everyone gets to own a piece of the company through equity
- Free gym membership
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School is a coding bootcamp with online and in-person courses that teach students real developer skills. Start one of Flatiron School’s job-guaranteed courses for Web and iOS Development, Certificate Courses, or Free Courses, and join a community of students passionate about learning to love code.
Go behind the scenes and see how Flatiron School is changing higher education!
Be a Better Flatiron School Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Flatiron School when you watch classes taught by their top employees.