Software Engineering Intern: Fall 2019
Flexport, Chicago, IL
Fixing the user experience in global trade.
We are reinventing global trade.
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B from investors that include SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator.
With offices on three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
We are looking for world-class software engineers to join us on the journey to automate many of the most painful and complex processes in the last industry to go untouched by technology.
What you’ll do:
- You will maturely own a project that has serious impact on Flexport's business
- You will work across a cutting-edge tech stack using React, ES2017, Ruby, Relay & GraphQL
- You will code that contributes to our core product - you won't be tossed a list of edge-case bugs nobody else wants to solve
- You will have an experienced mentor who considers it their job to make sure you're growing the skills you need
- You will organize fragmented data from the world of freight forwarding into intelligible data models that drive efficiency in our core application
- You will build scalable programs that standardize information flow & increase operational efficiency
- You will be part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code every twenty minutes
What you’ll need:
- You have an ability to chew through difficult software problems. You leave a trail of successful software projects in your wake
- You have a product-first approach to building software. You care about the real world functionality of your programming
- You have a bias for action & strive for excellence
- You have a desire to work hard and the curiosity to learn
- You have twelve weeks of full-time availability--this internship has a start date in September 2019
What you’ll get:
- A competitive salary
- A flight to CHI & back home
- We know the housing market in Chicago is crazy, so we'll take care of funding housing
- Always a free lunch— and breakfast & snacks to boot!
- Our downtown office is conveniently located in the heart of the city, close to public transit and near the best bars & restaurants the city has to offer
- When you work with the best, you want to hang with the best. We regularly have team & company events
Where you’ll work:
We’re new to Chicago and looking for lifelong learners who want to be a part of a founding team. Come help us build the culture at Flexport!
Investing your time with Flexport means having immediate impact, all over the world. You’re empowered to do what’s best for everyone and trusted to make the right decisions when and where you need them. Join our collective of entrepreneurs and improve the world’s experience in global trade.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We deploy every 20 minutes with our Buildkite CI setup. Our frontend is built with Flow-typed ES2017. We have around 1500 React components and 100 Flux stores, though we’re beginning to use GraphQL & Relay to replace Flux. We test the frontend with Jest and enzyme. On the backend, we're a Rails shop riding on Postgres RDS and AWS.
How you’ll apply:
- Fill out the form below
- Include a link to a project or two (we really like to see these, but they’re not a requirement). We like living, breathing projects with users, interesting demos, or anything else you’re passionate about. Please don’t just send code – explain why you wrote it, show us what it’s for, what you like about it, how it helps someone, etc. No project is too small if it’s something you care about!
- If you’d like to send a more traditional cover letter addressing your interest in Flexport, please feel free to attach that below. We read them all
Learn more about our work:
- The Flexport engineering blog
- Blog post from past intern Stephane Young (now a full-time engineer)
- TechCrunch doesn’t think we’re sexy enough
- Our CEO, Ryan, on FastCompany’s “Challengers” series (don’t worry, he’s not so dramatic IRL)
Flexport is a licensed freight forwarder that uses people and software to manage the complexity of international trade. Shipping something from Shenzhen to Cincinnati or Rotterdam to LA requires complex coordination. Currently that’s done by telephones, spreadsheets, and fax machines. Flexport provides a web-based app that offers real-time visibility of your shipments. And we’re not just a software platform: Our experienced logistics and customs experts are here to help at every step of the way. We offer services in air freight, ocean freight, trucking, warehouse & fulfillment, customs brokerage, and cargo insurance. Learn more about our services and request a live demo. Flexport is a freight forwarder for the Internet age. “What we do at Flexport” explains what we mean.
Want to learn more about Flexport? Visit Flexport's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Software Engineer, Back-End Growth
Coursera, Mountain View, CA
IT Service Operations Technician
Knotel, Knotel NYC
Full Stack Software Developer, Engage
Hootsuite, Vancouver, BC
Director of Account Management
Skillz, San Francisco
Hudson's Bay Company, New York, NY USA