Director, Head of Communications
Flexport, Los Angeles, CA, San Francisco, CA, Bellevue, WA
Fixing the user experience in global trade.
We are reinventing global trade.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. To achieve that goal, we need all of Flexport to be aligned and act as one. That’s where you come in.
Flexport is looking for a Head of Communications to help the company achieve its next stage of growth and maturity. You’ll work with the Executive Team and other stakeholders to develop integrated internal and external communication strategies that bring to life our purpose and vision in every touch point.
You’ll be the brains behind how we inform and engage the people most important to our future success -- the 2,500 Flexporters across the world -- as well as influential stakeholders in the media.
You’ll work with senior business leaders across the company to articulate and share their team’s impact and advise them on high-impact communications moments happening within their org. You’ll do all this together with your Internal and External Comms teams, your peers in Brand and Marketing, and stakeholders across the company from People to Finance.
At no other time has the global supply chain been more relevant -- or operated in such chaos -- as today. We live at the intersection of technology and global trade - a fun, fascinating, complex place to be. The people attracted to that space are infinitely curious, have excellent BS detectors, and expect the best of themselves and each other. As Head of Comms, you’ll develop the voice that captures that spirit and inspires pride in what we’re building together.
- Audit and review our current comms mix to assess and, where needed, improve its efficacy
- Develop and execute communications strategies that are fit for purpose, measurable and always in line with Flexport’s brand and positioning
- Connect, inform and inspire employees at every level to the company’s mission, strategic priorities and values. You’ll own the big show: our monthly Global All-Hands
- Develop innovative ways of engaging our stakeholders, especially our employees through content, internal events and technologies like our intranet and, of course, Slack
- Coach and empower your team to work with the Brand, Finance/Investor Relations and People teams on Flexport announcements, such as company milestones, financial results and product news
- Advise the e-team and other senior leaders at Flexport at high-impact moments and help execute on their communications
- Lead and develop a team of five experienced Communications specialists
- Be a relentless advocate for consistency in the Flexport story across internal and external communications
You should have:
- A BA or equivalent degree, preferably in communications, journalism or related area
- 10+ years of experience across internal and external communications, including 3+ years leading a team, 3+ years in a global environment and public company experience.
- A team mentality. Flexport is a team-oriented company that requires effective collaboration to drive company-wide results. You are someone who not only likes working in a team, but enjoys leading one, too
- Personality in your writing (and you’re not afraid to show it)
- Strong planning skills. You know how to manage complex projects, multiple stakeholders and competing priorities to create an actionable plan and get the most impactful work done. You build the feedback loops that will make your plan a success: determining and informing the right stakeholders, gaining their buy-in and keeping them informed
- Poise. You know what questions to ask to get to the heart of the matter and aren’t afraid to ask them
- Lots of energy. We run a lean team so get ready to roll up your sleeves. Sometimes you’ll be the visionary, sometimes you’ll provide the first draft
- Adaptability. We’re growing fast and that means sometimes things change quickly. If you’ve mastered the art of using ambiguity to your team’s advantage, this role is for you
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Flexport is a licensed freight forwarder that uses people and software to manage the complexity of international trade. Shipping something from Shenzhen to Cincinnati or Rotterdam to LA requires complex coordination. Currently that’s done by telephones, spreadsheets, and fax machines. Flexport provides a web-based app that offers real-time visibility of your shipments. And we’re not just a software platform: Our experienced logistics and customs experts are here to help at every step of the way. We offer services in air freight, ocean freight, trucking, warehouse & fulfillment, customs brokerage, and cargo insurance. Learn more about our services and request a live demo. Flexport is a freight forwarder for the Internet age. “What we do at Flexport” explains what we mean.
Want to learn more about Flexport? Visit Flexport's website.
A membership platform that makes it easy for artists and creators to get paid