Software Engineer II
Making global trade easy at Flexport
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Reporting & Analytics Engineering
The reporting & analytics engineering group is responsible for creating products that empower clients with comprehensive data so that they can make the best decisions for their supply chain & logistics operations. The product area will ensure an intuitive user experience when clients interact with their complex logistic data. High-quality software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport you’ll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Develop complex software product initiatives and run them to completion with minimal supervision
- Write thorough technical specs that define new systems or expand existing ones.
- Review technical specs and from peer engineers and ensure that they are in line with the team’s technical vision.
- Articulate the vision to engineers on the team and prospective engineering candidates as part of the interview process.
- Identify and document cross-team initiatives and project dependencies to achieve the team's vision.
- Design flexible, maintainable code
- Design and implement client-facing Reporting & Analytics software that enables clients with the data products.
- Model the complex world of the demand side of the supply chain and relation to freight movement.
- Design a competent, scalable data model that represents the complex areas of data marts across business domains.
- Distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions by working closely with business partners and product managers
- Gather requirements and review product specifications to better understand the business workflows that need to be automated.
- Review the UX designs prepared to make sure that the complex workflows are well represented in the UX.
- Outline high-level solutions by writing a technical spec that describes how the proposed software will solve complex business problems.
- Document granular work breakdown of the project and come up with timeline and roadmap of solution delivery.
- Build scalable programs that standardize information flow to activate new business offerings.
- Write bar-raising code that peer engineers can reference as a standard for the team
- Ensure compliance with software industry best practices to improve team monitoring, solve and prevent bugs, and ensure a 99.99% uptime SLA
- Provide regular, concrete technical feedback in code reviews for relatively junior engineers on the team.
- Identify and build backend components that can be leveraged by other developers to power their systems.
You should have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- You have 3+ years of experience writing software and strong engineering background.
- Experience as a generalist working on both the frontend and backend to provide the best solutions for our users.
- Experience in building distributed systems using Ruby or Java.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations.
- You love simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- You can convey technical ideas in common terms to business stakeholders, product managers, and engineers alike.
Bonus if you have:
- Experience working with Snowflake or data warehousing technologies.
- Knowledge of Kafka or async message processing technologies
- Experience with Looker cloud
- Experience migrating large monolithic applications to service-oriented architecture
Our reporting stack is powered by Looker with snowflake and integrated with customized front end and data processing pipelines.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the front end, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app and moving to services. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one-week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, creed, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military, and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Flexport is a licensed freight forwarder that uses people and software to manage the complexity of international trade. Shipping something from Shenzhen to Cincinnati or Rotterdam to LA requires complex coordination. Currently that’s done by telephones, spreadsheets, and fax machines. Flexport provides a web-based app that offers real-time visibility of your shipments. And we’re not just a software platform: Our experienced logistics and customs experts are here to help at every step of the way. We offer services in air freight, ocean freight, trucking, warehouse & fulfillment, customs brokerage, and cargo insurance. Learn more about our services and request a live demo. Flexport is a freight forwarder for the Internet age. “What we do at Flexport” explains what we mean.
Want to learn more about Flexport? Visit Flexport's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!