API Support Engineer
Flexport, Chicago, IL; Atlanta, GA; Bellevue, WA
Fixing the user experience in global trade.
Support the Flexport Ecosystem of API integrations
The Ecosystem team’s mission is to make information exchange in global trade easy for everyone by efficiently, securely and reliably connecting the Flexport Platform with the external Global Trade ecosystem.
Flexport is a freight forwarder and logistics platform using modern software to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
The support team is the most critical function within the Ecosystem org. We are responsible for the long term support and monitoring of every integration built by Flexport’s Ecosystem team, and we will not accept anything less than a 90% success rate for everything we build. Every integration must drive ROI to ensure the stickiness across our various customer/partner relations.
We seek a confident hands-on problem solver who enjoys solving difficult problems in a fast paced environment with many moving parts, where exponential scale must be a top consideration. Our goal is to ensure supportability of all integrations as we scale exponentially. Success in this role is measured by the ability to ensure 90% overall success rate for every live integration, ensuring sufficient monitoring to be the first to know when an integration has “gone sour” for any reason, and ensuring every integration is supportable within Flexport and across our various customers, partners, and carriers.
- Carry on Flexport’s reputation as a trusted tech-forward partner for our customers, carriers, partners, and internal stakeholders by joining a team dedicated to providing phenomenal 24x7 support and world class monitoring support for integrated solutions that accommodate the wide variety of traditional and modern integration technologies in use by various logistics partners from flat files, EDI X12, EDIFACT, REST APIs.
- Ability to confidently triage and assess pager duty alerts and route/escalate critical issues to the appropriate ENG team to resolve
- Track key metrics and ensure robust visibility to the performance, health, and success of all integrations, both for the support team as well as our internal stakeholders
- Contribute to state of the art monitoring to identify sudden drop offs in integration volumes
- Represent client concerns with/against Public APIs, while ensuring robust monitoring/alerting tools are in place to notify the team long before customers are aware of any critical issue
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, PMs, and stakeholders outside the Ecosystem to identify short and long term solutions to a given integration issue.
- Enthusiastically embrace a functional understanding of operational workflows and best practices in global trade via supplemental learning opportunities within the Ecosystem team issue investigations requiring collaboration and communication with ops teams.
- Document common error resolution steps in new/existing runbooks, and distribute learnings across the larger team
- Provide visibility to common support themes/trends within the support team and beyond
- Identify gaps in internal user workflows/understandings of our integrations, working with functional counterparts to drive adoption and success
- Ensure supportability for every integration built by the Ecosystem team across the various pillars: Demand, Supply, Developer, and Partner integrations.
- Create and leverage feedback loops from our customers/partners and internal users to advocate for improvements to our integrations
- Collaborate with the larger Ecosystem team to standardize the support of all integrations and ensure junior members (including offshore team) are setup for success
You should have:
- 2+ years experience working with or supporting APIs. You know how APIs work, you can flawlessly explain what APIs are to both technical and nontechnical audiences. You can speak confidently as to the role APIs plan in an SDK.
- Understanding of agile methodology with respect to the software development lifecycle, and familiarity with various agile ceremonies (daily standup, sprint grooming, planning, retros, etc.).
- Ability to troubleshoot a variety of transmission protocols (FTP, SFTP, AS2, etc.), payload / file formats (JSON, XML, delimited files, etc.) and ETL concepts.
- Complete independence querying against postgres/Snowflake database tables to parse through audit, error, and archive data to solve a variety of support issues and provide impact analysis.
- Practical experience with monitoring tools such as DataDog, New Relic, etc. to build new monitoring, configure alerting, and solve complex issues
- Practical experience with logging tools such as Scalyr, Sumo Logic, LogDNA, Logentries, etc. to solve complex technical issues
- Strong technical writing skills — you can provide precise, concise documentation to both technical and non-technical audiences. You appreciate structure — parent pages, tables of contents, bug templates, etc.
- Ability to recognize repetitive tasks/issues in support and work with Solutions and Engineering teams to improve existing automation, or otherwise distribute the work to offshore teams
- Excellent client-facing communication skills, confident and comfortable presenting technical findings and impact analysis to both technical and nontechnical audiences, as well as the occasional executive audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer/information science, engineering, mathematics, related fields or equivalent experience.
Bonus points if you have:
- Prior experience in logistics and/or global trade or other b2b industry based company
- Prior experience working and collaborating with offshore teams
- Prior experience in an IT or devops role, or a role that engaged heavily with IT/devops/infra
- Experience using or implementing anomaly detection against large log sets
- Prior experience working on a professional services and/or integration team
- Practical experience with EDI X12 and EDIFACT.
- Experience supporting or working with an iPaaS (Mulesoft, Dell Boomi, etc .)
- Practical experience working with or supporting SDKs
- Experience creating alerting/monitoring in DataDog or similar app
- Knowledge/experience with AWS cloud services
- Proven track record for creating robust jira tickets that provide enough context and examples to not require followup conversations
- Strong opinions that automations should automate both the happy path as well as the non-happy path
- Demonstrated experience providing excellent customer support #LI-LB1
We believe trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone. Flexport is building the platform for global logistics, empowering buyers, sellers and their logistics partners with the technology and services to grow and innovate. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $10B of merchandise across 112 countries every year.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we created a Logistics & Supply Chain Learning Course!
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated, and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, creed, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Flexport is a licensed freight forwarder that uses people and software to manage the complexity of international trade. Shipping something from Shenzhen to Cincinnati or Rotterdam to LA requires complex coordination. Currently that’s done by telephones, spreadsheets, and fax machines. Flexport provides a web-based app that offers real-time visibility of your shipments. And we’re not just a software platform: Our experienced logistics and customs experts are here to help at every step of the way. We offer services in air freight, ocean freight, trucking, warehouse & fulfillment, customs brokerage, and cargo insurance. Learn more about our services and request a live demo. Flexport is a freight forwarder for the Internet age. “What we do at Flexport” explains what we mean.
Want to learn more about Flexport? Visit Flexport's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.