Flow Traders, New York
If you're passionate about trading & technology, you'll find success.
Flow Traders is looking for an experienced Linux Engineer to join our growing Technology team in New York. The ideal candidate is highly motivated to make an impact and is committed to efficiency and optimization. This is a unique opportunity to join a leading proprietary trading firm with an entrepreneurial and innovative culture at the heart of its business. We value quick-witted, creative minds and challenge them to make full use of their capacities. If you aim high, the sky is the limit!
This global team is responsible for a collection of over 3000 physical and virtual servers in 40 different locations around the world. The Linux Engineer’s primary responsibilities will be building, improving, and maintaining our complex Linux environment. They will work closely with other systems engineering teams (Windows, database, storage and VMware) to further develop a coherent and robust infrastructure. They will also act as a point of escalation for Linux-related operational issues from other IT teams, such as trading support or networking.
Workflow automation and modern configuration management are cornerstones of the job, as efficiency and reliability are essential to a robust trading environment. The role has many opportunities for high-impact contributions, from saving nanoseconds by tuning trading servers’ kernels to reclaiming minutes and hours by improving and expanding our configuration management solutions. Whether the contributions are in trade performance, deployment automation, or somewhere else, the successful Linux Engineer at Flow Traders will be highly self-motivated, have strong attention to detail, and a clear focus on innovation and optimization.
What You Will Do
- Participate in on-call rotations and act as point-of-escalation for Linux-related incidents
- Monitor Flow’s global infrastructure (both physical and virtual), managing and optimizing the framework used to do so
- Administer, upgrade, and improve the server/workstation configuration management platform (Puppet, Foreman)
- Manage updates of kernel, drivers and firmware as well as security patching
- Collaborate with Development and other IT teams to provision environments for new projects
- Stay on top of new technologies and implement improvements to our tech stack
- Automate routine manual tasks
What You Need to Succeed
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science
- Extensive experience working in a complex Linux environment (hybrid Linux/Windows environments is a plus)
- Expert-level knowledge of Linux distributions and networking (e.g. DNS, DHCP, routing/switching, multicast)
- Excellent scripting skills and substantial work experience in Python, Bash, Ruby, or Perl
- Hands-on experience with configuration management tools (e.g. Puppet, Ansible, CFEngine)
- Deep understanding of modern monitoring systems (deployment, maintenance, and best practices)
- Strong proficiency with version control systems (preferably git)
- Ability to effectively collaborate with global teams
- Submit your resume.
- Phone Interview with our Recruitment Team
- Video Interviews with our Technology Team
*Please note that the recruitment process will take place virtually and this position will start remotely due to COVID.
What We Offer
We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with an extensive onboarding program, access to Flow Academy, the best working environment, the latest technology and continuous support. We go out of our way to retain the small business feeling with which we started and stimulate innovation and collaboration through teamwork and our non-hierarchical approach. We offer competitive salary, annual discretionary bonus and other fantastic perks and benefits, such as:
- Medical, Vision, Dental Insurance coverage
- 401k plan with generous match
- In-house lounge with a bar, game consoles, poker & billiards tables
- Daily catered lunch, cold brew coffee on tap and a fully stocked kitchen
- Weekly table massages and bi-weekly haircuts
- Annual company trip and a variety of events throughout the year
- Reimbursed gym membership or home equipment and other wellness initiatives
- Flow Academy for continuous learning and opportunities to attend industry seminars and conferences
- Global rotations between our offices worldwide
- and more!
Flow Traders does not accept unsolicited resumes from any professional staffing or search firms. All resumes, and any other information identifying potential candidates, submitted to any employee at Flow Traders via-email, the Internet or directly without a valid and signed search agreement will be deemed free to contact by Flow Traders without any restrictions and no placement fee of any kind will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Flow Traders.
About Flow Traders
Flow Traders is a leading global technology-enabled liquidity provider specializing in exchange traded products (ETPs) and now expanding into other asset classes, such as FX, Fixed Income and Cryptocurrency. Our ambition is to become a one-stop shop liquidity platform in the financial markets globally. Supported by our proprietary technology platform, we provide liquidity in financial products that help contribute to more efficient markets.
Be a Better Flow Traders Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Flow Traders when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Flow Traders? Visit Flow Traders's website.
Our cornerstone is knowledge of the home, family, food and lifestyle markets.