Experienced Quantitative Researcher
Flow Traders, Amsterdam
If you're passionate about trading & technology, you'll find success.
Flow Traders is looking for experienced Quantitative Researchers to join our growing Equity, Fixed Income, Options, Cryptocurrency or FX desk at our Amsterdam office. This is an unique opportunity for candidates to join a leading proprietary trading firm, working alongside some of the brightest minds in the industry.
As a firm, we are at the intersection of Scientific Research, Finance and cutting edge Technology. Financial markets have made a rapid shift from trading in the pit towards algorithmic trading, and our firm has developed into a FinTech company.
A successful Quantitative Researcher, first and foremost, must be an expert in mathematics and statistics. We are looking for someone who loves to work with numbers and code automated trading algorithms. You should have an innate desire to generate and backtest new trading ideas, with generation of alpha and automated strategies as ultimate output goals. You will work alongside Traders and Quantitative Researchers on state of the art trading solutions. If you have a passion to solve and code mathematical problems, then this opportunity is for you.
What you will do
- Collaborate with Traders and Quant Researchers to optimize and improve trading strategies
- Research and analyze financial data to find exploitable patterns
- Design and implement complex quantitative models and automated trading algorithms
Day in the Life
You arrive at the office and walk into the lounge to get yourself a sandwich and a glass of orange juice and while you are at it, you bring some coffee for your teammates. You log in to your computer and walk towards the huddle area to listen to the daily morning meeting which gets us up to speed on what has happened over night and the most important things to expect for today.
After the morning meeting you start running the quantitative models that are already in production and send updated parameters to Traders so they can put it in their trading engine. Thereafter it is mostly programming, you start working on your to-do list which are mostly researching and designing new trading algorithms, but projects can range from statistically investigating a trading idea in Python, R or MATLAB to coding new improved versions of trading algos in JAVA. As an example today you have been working on a bug in one of the trading algorithms that you wrote as we noticed it doing some weird trades.
After lunch you continue where you left off and try to finish any projects with pressing deadlines, or ad-hoc research requests that come in. As most European exchanges close, you shut down your PC and head home. However, on Fridays it usually worthwhile to stay and have a drink at our in-house bar where some good old jokes usually leads to a counterstrike team battle at our gaming room combined with a few beers.
What you need to Succeed
- 2-7 years quantitative research experience with a focus on pricing and hedging strategies at a market maker
- A Master degree in Econometrics, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Computer Science or similar (PhD preferred)
- Strong understanding of market microstructure in the asset class of expertise (equity, fx, fixed income, options or crypto)
- Proficient in programming (e.g. Java and Python)
- Experience in low latency set ups
- Strong mathematical and statistical skills
- Ability to reason logically, deliver under pressure and take ownership
- Competitive attitude, eager to learn, proactive and able to work in a team
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
Please apply through our website with a CV and convincing cover letter. During the recruitment process, you will meet several people from the Quant and Trading teams who will test your problem solving skills and your mathematics background. Do you love solving puzzles? Great, then this could be the job for you!
What We Offer
We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with an extensive onboarding program, access to Flow Academy, the best working environment, the latest technology and continuous support. We go out of our way to retain the small business feeling with which we started and stimulate innovation and collaboration through teamwork and our non-hierarchical approach. We offer competitive salary, annual discretionary profit share and other fantastic perks and benefits, such as:
- Flow Academy for continuous learning and opportunities to attend domain-related conferences
- Our own company boat
- In-house gym and sessions with our nutritionist or personal trainer
- In-house Bar and Lounge with an arcade, table tennis, billiards table and game consoles
- Daily catered lunch, amazing coffee and a fully stocked kitchen and snack bar
- Weekly chair massages
- Annual company trip and a variety of events throughout the year, such as the Year End Party
- Global rotations between our offices worldwide
- and more!
Flow Traders does not accept unsolicited resumes from any professional staffing or search firms. All resumes, and any other information identifying potential candidates, submitted to any employee at Flow Traders via-email, the Internet or directly without a valid and signed search agreement will be deemed free to contact by Flow Traders without any restrictions and no placement fee of any kind will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Flow Traders.
About Flow Traders
Flow Traders is a leading global technology-enabled liquidity provider specializing in exchange traded products (ETPs) and now expanding into other asset classes, such as FX, Fixed Income and Cryptocurrency. Our ambition is to become a one-stop shop liquidity platform in the financial markets globally. Supported by our proprietary technology platform, we provide liquidity in financial products that help contribute to more efficient markets.
Be a Better Flow Traders Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Flow Traders when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Flow Traders? Visit Flow Traders's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.