To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
Our growing print process team is a mix of mechanical, systems, and software engineers. We are the mad scientists that develop and maintain the Formlabs printing process. Our team works closely with other engineering teams to research and product develop Formlabs next generation printers and materials. We use engineering, physics, and experimentation to turn goop into beautiful and accurate parts.
Do you love hacking and DIY projects? Are you obsessed with figuring out how to make a complex system work better? We want you as an R&D Engineer Intern.
*Submitting a portfolio demonstrating previous work with your application is recommended*
- Design, build, and innovate new 3D printing techniques - from developing new printer architectures to validating minute changes in galvo control
- Work across teams to help implement improvements to current products such as redesigning support structure algorithm based on experiment results
- Evaluate current printer performance for areas for improvement
- Design and execute experiments and use results to inform and develop improvements in software or hardware
- Tackle complex and open-ended problems across multiple engineering disciplines
- Are willing to question assumptions and back it up with data
- Able to work autonomously to research
- Have experience with experiment design and data analysis
- Understand programming and scientific computing, ideally Python or Matlab
- Familiar with mechanical design, mechatronics, and CAD modeling (Solidworks/OpenScad a plus)
- Pursuing a B.S., M.S., or PhD in an engineering field (all are welcome)
Bonus Skills (Optional):
- Previous work on a consumer product
- Developed physics-based models of complex systems
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.
We’re a passionate team of engineers, designers, and problem-solvers. Started out of MIT in 2011, Formlabs now employs over 250 people across offices in Germany, Japan, and China. We're committed to bringing powerful and accessible fabrication tools into the creative hands of professionals around the world. With the Form 2 SLA 3D printer, Fuse 1 SLS 3D printer, Form Cell manufacturing solution, and Pinshape marketplace of 3D designs, Formlabs is establishing the industry benchmark in professional 3D printing for professionals from a variety of industries. We also develop high-performance materials in-house, as well as best-in-class 3D printing software like PreForm and Dashboard. We believe in what we do, and we’re excited about creating powerful tools that change the way we work and live.