Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence company, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare and Swarm, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, and in sales offices around the globe, we’re dedicated to our trailblazing mission—enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About our Engineering Team:
As a member of Foursquare’s engineering team, we want you to bring experience building real products from the ground up. We're passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space and look for others who like to dive deep into code and help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (Scala, Thrift, MongoDB, Memcached, JS/jQuery, Kafka, Pants, Hadoop, MR, Spark) but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. Here are some high level areas you could help within our NY or SF office:
- Improve the accuracy and efficiency of one of the premier Place search APIs in existence. Our API powers Foursquare City Guide and Swarm as well as apps from Microsoft, Uber, Samsung, Twitter and more
- Leverage machine learning techniques to build systems which process and derive insights from billions of location data points every day
- Launch features that make cities easier to explore and continue to push the Foursquare City Guide and Swarm apps forward
- Build resilient services and tooling which drive all of our offline processing of petabytes of data
About the Role:
The Pilgrim team is responsible for building and maintaining models that make up the foundation of Foursquare’s cutting-edge location intelligence. As a staff member on this team, you will be expected to be able to lead and execute on R&D efforts to advance our machine learning and location intelligence technology. You will be able to operate independently as well as to guide small teams of data scientists and machine learning engineers when needed in order to deliver results on enterprise-scale datasets using a variety of techniques. Our team focuses on delivering both research and software in a collaborative and supportive environment where ideation and problem-solving are vital.
- 8+ years of work or educational experience in data science, machine learning, and statistics.
- 3+ years of experience as a manager or technical lead
- PhD degree or comparable research experience
- Proven track record of delivering on products and/or practical research endeavors
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Scala, Java or C++
- Experience with Hadoop, scalding, spark, or similar frameworks is a plus
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About us Foursquare is a technology company that enriches consumer experiences and informs business decisions through a deep understanding of location intelligence. Every month, more than 50 million people use the Foursquare City Guide app, Foursquare Swarm check-in app and websites to discover new places, explore the world and check in. Our community of explorers have left 91 million tips and checked in 12 billion times. Foursquare’s Places API powers location data for Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Twitter, Uber, Airbnb and 100,000 other developers. Foursquare’s business solutions also include Pinpoint, Attribution, Pilgrim SDK and Foursquare Analytics, which empower brands to understand and connect to targeted audiences as well as measure foot traffic and advertising success. Foursquare has over 250 employees based in New York headquarters and offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Singapore. Foursquare is proud to be funded by Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners and more. U.S. offices New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles International offices London, Singapore