- 3+ years of proven industry experience working on the backend services or infrastructure for a large scale, highly distributed web site or web service
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design
- Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)
- Familiarity with JVM profiling and GC tuning. Experience with tools like YourKit, JMH, statsd-jvm-profiler or equivalents a plus
- Experience designing and deploying large scale distributed systems, either serving online traffic or for offline computation. Experience in concurrency, multithreading and synchronization
- Bonus points for experience with Hadoop, MongoDB, Finagle, Kafka, ZooKeeper, Graphite (or other time series metrics stores), JVM profiling, Grafana, Linux system administration, Chef (or equivalent experience with Puppet, Ansible, etc.), Aurora (or other cluster management frameworks like Marathon or Kubernetes).
- Comfortable in a small and fast-paced startup environment.
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
About us Foursquare is a technology company that enriches consumer experiences and informs business decisions through a deep understanding of location intelligence. Every month, more than 50 million people use the Foursquare City Guide app, Foursquare Swarm check-in app and websites to discover new places, explore the world and check in. Our community of explorers have left 91 million tips and checked in 12 billion times. Foursquare’s Places API powers location data for Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Twitter, Uber, Airbnb and 100,000 other developers. Foursquare’s business solutions also include Pinpoint, Attribution, Pilgrim SDK and Foursquare Analytics, which empower brands to understand and connect to targeted audiences as well as measure foot traffic and advertising success. Foursquare has over 250 employees based in New York headquarters and offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Singapore. Foursquare is proud to be funded by Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners and more. U.S. offices New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles International offices London, Singapore