Senior Engineer, Data Platform OR Staff Engineer, Data Platform
See jobs at Foursquare
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the role
This role utilizes a strong background in distributed systems to help build the core online and offline platforms that drive the data services for our Developer and Consumer-facing products. We want you to be comfortable running with your own ideas, ready to drive team innovation and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (e.g., Scala, Hadoop, Kafka, Python, Thrift, Spark, Luigi, EMR, Databricks, MongoDB, Memcached, Redis, Chef, Aurora, Mesos, Pants), but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine. We are currently looking for a Senior Engineer, Data Platform or Staff Engineer, Data Platform depending on your experience.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Develop and maintain Foursquare's event streaming platform and applications for data ingestion
- Build cost-effective and seamless applications to run across Amazon EMR
- Collaborate with engineering teams on implementing and deploying large scale data processing applications.
- Lead cross-team coordination and mentor other engineers on the team.
- 8-10 years of software engineering, 5 years of Big Data engineering, and tech lead experience
- Experience building and maintaining event streaming platforms ( Kafka, Spark, Security, Producer and consumer API’s)
- Expert knowledge of Big Data and AWS concepts ( Hdfs, Yarn, Hive, S3, EC2, EMR)
- Experience working in a fast-paced programming environment with hands on experience in continuous deployment and agile methodologies
- Experience in building and supporting data systems used by other Engineering teams
Nice to have:
- Experience with the Luigi scheduler is a plus
- Experience in Scala is a plus
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About us Foursquare is a technology company that enriches consumer experiences and informs business decisions through a deep understanding of location intelligence. Every month, more than 50 million people use the Foursquare City Guide app, Foursquare Swarm check-in app and websites to discover new places, explore the world and check in. Our community of explorers have left 91 million tips and checked in 12 billion times. Foursquare’s Places API powers location data for Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Twitter, Uber, Airbnb and 100,000 other developers. Foursquare’s business solutions also include Pinpoint, Attribution, Pilgrim SDK and Foursquare Analytics, which empower brands to understand and connect to targeted audiences as well as measure foot traffic and advertising success. Foursquare has over 250 employees based in New York headquarters and offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Singapore. Foursquare is proud to be funded by Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners and more. U.S. offices New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles International offices London, Singapore
Want to learn more about Foursquare? Visit Foursquare's website.
Great Prices. Better Cars. Shipped to You.