Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Unfolded Studio).
About the Team:
The Unfolded Team at Foursquare set out to bring the most advanced geospatial technologies to the world that is powerful, beautiful, and easy to use. The team is building a geospatial analytics platform for accessing, merging, enriching, analyzing, and visualizing spatial data. Members of Unfolded are authors of a suite of leading open source geospatial technologies - kepler.gl, deck.gl and H3. By joining the team, you will have an opportunity to work with some world-class geospatial engineers in the industry.
About the role:
Reporting to our Head of Backend Engineering, the Backend Engineer will serve an important role to build advanced analytics services in Unfolded cloud and on-prem / private cloud offerings. The ideal candidate is comfortable working independently, able to demonstrate initiative and professionalism and attention to detail, and mentor other engineers over a distance. This position is full-time and can be remote.
What you’ll Do
- Build REST microservices to query, serve, and analyze geospatial data.
- Design and build scalable, performant, and maintainable services to power the Unfolded Cloud
- Champion backend engineering best practices
- Work with the backend lead, customers, product teams, and sales teams to understand customer needs and translate them into backend engineering projects
- Manage project timelines, implementation design specifications, engineering system diagrams, documentation, testing and ongoing support of systems.
- Maintain and improve existing code with a pride of ownership.
- Cloud stack: AWS and Google Cloud Platform
- Cloud deployment: Kubernetes, containers and Docker, Helm
- Language: TypeScript (Node) or Python
- Data stores: MySQL, Redis, GCS or S3
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ experience
- Comfortable working remotely
- Comfortable with Slack and Google Workspace apps (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Hangouts etc)
- At ease with technology, able to quickly pick up new platforms and troubleshoot
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Sound judgment, a high degree of professionalism, and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proactive, able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
Nice To Haves
- Experience with other Big Data technologies, (BigQuery, Snowflake, HDFS, Hive, Presto) Arrow, Parquet is always appreciated
- Experience with geospatial data
- Experience with spatial indexing systems: H3, S2, geohash
- We are a fully flexible company that allows you to work from any location in Serbia where we have an office.
- Competitive compensation.
- 20 days of paid vacation.
- Paid sick leave.
- Budget for education.
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About us Foursquare is a technology company that enriches consumer experiences and informs business decisions through a deep understanding of location intelligence. Every month, more than 50 million people use the Foursquare City Guide app, Foursquare Swarm check-in app and websites to discover new places, explore the world and check in. Our community of explorers have left 91 million tips and checked in 12 billion times. Foursquare’s Places API powers location data for Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Twitter, Uber, Airbnb and 100,000 other developers. Foursquare’s business solutions also include Pinpoint, Attribution, Pilgrim SDK and Foursquare Analytics, which empower brands to understand and connect to targeted audiences as well as measure foot traffic and advertising success. Foursquare has over 250 employees based in New York headquarters and offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London, and Singapore. Foursquare is proud to be funded by Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners and more. U.S. offices New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles International offices London, Singapore
Want to learn more about Foursquare? Visit Foursquare's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.