Education Product Copy Editor (Contract)
General Assembly, New York
The world evolves at the speed of tech. You and your business should, too.
Recently voted Fast Company’s #1 Most Innovative Company in Education and #28 Most Innovative Company in the world, General Assembly is a venture-backed, post Series D, NYC-based startup in our sixth year. General Assembly transforms thinkers into creators through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design. We offer classes, workshops, long-form courses, and events in worldwide markets including New York where we are headquartered, Atlanta, Austin, Denver, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, San Francisco, Singapore, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Melbourne and Washington DC.. We also partner with Fortune 500 companies to spur innovation through increased digital fluency and more effective approaches to collaboration.
General Assembly, a pioneering tech education company with campuses in 20 locations across the world, is looking for a contract copy editor who will support our Instructional Design and Content teams. Successful candidates should be detail oriented, comfortable working independently, and able to adapt to evolving project goals. The Instructional Design Copy Editor will be responsible for ensuring a high level of quality for all instructional content at General Assembly.
Key responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Tone of voice and clarity. Review all instructional content (developed by GA instructional designers) for consistency with GA brand voice, as well as readability and comprehension for students with varying degrees of English language proficiency and educational backgrounds. Ensure that instructional content is free of errors in grammar, punctuation, and syntax and maintains consistency across style and format (AP Style).
- Quality assurance. Perform basic QA tasks to ensure all aspects of instructional content perform as expected.
- Style guide. Partner with the GA Content team to develop a style guide and best practices for GA instructional material.
- Project management. Develop project timelines and manage deliverables, working collaboratively with product managers, instructional designers, and other stakeholders.
Time & Location
Up to 40 hours a week, depending on workload. Offered on contract, this position has potential for growth into a full-time hire. This position is located at the General Assembly HQ at 902 Broadway, 4th floor, NYC, with flexibility to work remotely as needed with manager approval.
Rate: $30 per/hour
- 3+ years experience as a copyeditor.
- Ability to follow editorial guidelines set by AP Style.
- Superior project and time management skills.
- Familiarity with content management systems.
- Dexterity working in HTML markdown, Git, GitHub, and Google docs.
- Experience with instructional content is preferred.
- Knowledge of/experience with copywriting for instruction or learning experiences preferred.
About General Assembly
Who We Are General Assembly is a pioneer in education and career transformation, specializing in today’s most in-demand skills. The leading source for training, staffing, and career transitions, we foster a flourishing community of professionals pursuing careers they love. What began as a co-working space in 2011 has since grown into a global learning experience with campuses in 20 cities and over 35,000 graduates worldwide. As individuals and companies struggle to compete in an increasingly technological economy, General Assembly provides award-winning, dynamic training to close the global skills gap.