Manager, Product Design
General Assembly, New York, NY
The world evolves at the speed of tech. You and your business should, too.
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting. In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. Our clients include everyone from many of the Fortune 500 companies, to government agencies, to small- and medium-sized businesses. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
General Assembly is looking for a customer focused design leader to lead its Product Design team. You will bring a mix of strong leadership experience,‘Design-Thinking’ methodologies, design system knowledge, and innovative product insights to help your team focus on the user, and make sure that they’re solving the right problems with the best solutions. You’ll balance a rigorous user-centric perspective with the ability to make bold decisions and move the product forward in a fast-paced development environment. You will foster cross-functional collaboration and consistency by working closely with key stakeholders to shape the vision and define the roadmap for our products, integrating user insights into product strategy and design.
What You’ll Do:
- Prioritize work, define clear goals, and create a culture of continuous learning through sharpening skill-sets and elevating work with insightful/actionable feedback.
- Navigate the natural tension between designing for revenue impact and designing for user needs in a holistic environment, and coach your designers on how to do the same.
- Facilitate and promote collaboration with Product Management, Engineering, Brand Design, Copy, Marketing and other cross-functional leaders to push boundaries, influence strategy and quarterly roadmaps, and have a strong impact on product execution and quality.
- Pay close attention to and continually iterate on the team’s execution process — improving design quality, speed, and collaboration through efficiency and attention to craft.
- Bring strong creative thought leadership to drive initiatives that elevate the user experience.
- Provide clarity and focus for the team, while identifying and unblocking barriers to success.
- Coach and mentor each team member and be responsible for a healthy team culture.
- 6-10 years of relevant experience on a Product Design team or in a similar role.
- 2+ years of experience in a role managing a team of designers.
- Mastery of product design, user interface and interaction design, visual design, storytelling, and prototyping.
- Working knowledge of modern development technologies like HTML and SASS/CSS.
- Demonstrated track record of balancing business objectives with customer problems and steering team strategy.
- Experience facilitating creative workshops, running design projects, and collaborating effectively with engineering managers, product leaders and other key stakeholders.
- Consistent track record of mentoring talented designers to achieve their best performance.
- Experience directing both the visual and interaction design of projects.
- A diverse portfolio that shows creative, user-centered UX solutions, strong visual design and solid information architecture.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfort in a fast-paced, highly-dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders.
About General Assembly
Who We Are General Assembly is a pioneer in education and career transformation, specializing in today’s most in-demand skills. The leading source for training, staffing, and career transitions, we foster a flourishing community of professionals pursuing careers they love. What began as a co-working space in 2011 has since grown into a global learning experience with campuses in 20 cities and over 35,000 graduates worldwide. As individuals and companies struggle to compete in an increasingly technological economy, General Assembly provides award-winning, dynamic training to close the global skills gap.
Want to learn more about General Assembly? Visit General Assembly's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.