Ginkgo Bioworks, Boston, MA
THE ORGANISM COMPANY
We are passionate about engineering organisms at Ginkgo Bioworks. We're guessing you are too.
We believe that engineering organisms requires an integrated, industrialized technology pipeline. Over the past few years that's what we've been building at Ginkgo. Our first foundry Bioworks1 includes robotic automation, novel DNA assembly biochemistry, custom CAD/CAM software, high resolution LC-MS, and much more. We built it for people like you.
You have a strong opinion about the best way to reliably engineer organisms. You are excited to meet other organism engineers who have different approaches but are just as sharp as you. You will want to reshape Ginkgo's technology pipeline to fit your approach to organism engineering and are ready to engage in robust debate with our pipeline architects on what tools they should develop next.
We want to hire you because you believe that even though biology remains frustratingly unpredictable, you can deliver an engineered organism to spec on time. You believe this because you have successfully engineered an organism start to finish and it *worked*. This was a herculean task that took a team of highly trained PhDs years to complete. Using our foundry at Ginkgo we want you to do that every 6 months.
Take a look at the following statements -
* You are a student of other engineering fields and look for lessons for engineering biology
* You think that computers are a bad metaphor for a cell
* You recognize that biology is a unique engineering substrate that comes pre-loaded with startlingly brilliant code we didn't write.
* You think most people engineering organisms are undisciplined in their approach
* You recognize that we are at the beginning of engineering organisms and that there will never be another chance like this to define the field.
If these statements describe you well and you feel up to the challenging position described above, perhaps you should apply to Ginkgo Bioworks.
- Ph.D. or equivalent
- Previous success engineering at least one organism - plants, fish, microbes, worms, fungi ... it doesn't matter, as long as it worked.
- Few years post-graduate experience with a second organism a plus.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check us out on Medium and BuzzFeed
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can’t afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.