Ginkgo Bioworks, Boston, MA
THE ORGANISM COMPANY
Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks are joining forces, forming a new company that will build technology to enable microbes to improve key properties of agricultural crops. The company will have laboratories in both Boston, MA, and West Sacramento, CA, where we will leverage the existing organism engineering and plant biologics capabilities of the parent companies. Primary corporate operations will be carried out at Ginkgo Bioworks' headquarters in the Boston Seaport.
We are looking for experienced biological and metabolic engineers to serve as key contributors to organism development projects. Key areas of expertise include microbial strain engineering, advanced molecular biology and DNA cloning, genome engineering, plant microbe-interactions, protein engineering, metabolic engineering, bioinformatics, and microbial physiology.
We want to hire you because you care about developing new biological products for agriculture that are sustainable and deliver meaningful value to growers and consumers. You love to work in an interdisciplinary environment where it takes a team of talented and driven scientists with very different skill sets to build microbes that lead to dramatic improvements in plant performance and environmental health. You have experienced more failure than you care to admit in your scientific career; you are resolved to leverage access to Ginkgo’s foundries to make engineering biology more predictable and fail less often, while also taking steps to ensure that our microbes succeed outside of a controlled laboratory environment
- Execute milestone-driven research to meet Scientific Triggers in a timely fashion
- Master custom software to become a superuser of the Ginkgo foundries
- Work collaboratively with the foundry and other Scientists to deliver engineered microbes
- Develop new tools to identify the genetic potential of microbes and their interaction with plant hosts
- Ph.D. or equivalent
- Previous success engineering microbes
- A working knowledge of plant-microbe interactions is preferred
- A few years post-graduate experience is a plus
We are building a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with scientists and engineers from all walks of life. We can’t afford to leave any talent untapped. It is the policy of the JV to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.