- Design protein engineering libraries by application of rational protein engineering, directed evolution, synthetic metagenomics, and other approaches with the goal of altering properties such as catalytic activity, binding affinities, expression, solubility, substrate specificity, product profile, etc.
- Analyze datasets to discover structure/sequence-function-relationships and leverage learnings to design iterative protein engineering libraries
- Collaborate with team members to develop and implement computational pipelines for protein engineering using structural and/or sequence-based approaches
- Actively engage in interdisciplinary research and collaboration between scientists, who may speak somewhat different scientific languages, but all share a common passion for synthetic biology
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- PhD or equivalent in molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, chemical engineering, biophysics, physics, computer science, computational biology, quantitative biology, or related field
- Hands on experience designing a mutational library and/or applying directed evolution or other experimental protein engineering pipelines
- Demonstrated experience using PyMOL, Chimera, or comparable software to intuit protein structures and ability to design hypothesis driven point-mutations by eye
- Familiarity with at least one programming language (Python is preferred); openness to learning basic Python if needed (support will be provided)
- Exposure to at least one type of molecular modeling software such as Rosetta, Molecular Operating Environment (MOE), Schrodinger, a plus
- Familiarity with applying machine learning to protein engineering, a plus
- Enthusiasm to learn new techniques and strong curiosity of areas of biology previously unknown to you
About Ginkgo Bioworks
Ginkgo Bioworks is the organism company. We design custom microbes for customers across multiple markets. We build our foundries to scale the process of organism engineering using software and hardware automation. Organism engineers at Ginkgo learn from nature to develop new organisms that replace technology with biology.
Want to learn more about Ginkgo Bioworks? Visit Ginkgo Bioworks's website.
The best bed for better sleep