Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms.
At the heart of our foundry is high-throughput genetic engineering across multiple species, using state-of-the-art software and automation. To support these capabilities, we're looking for talented Operations Associates to join our in-house Media Team, rotating your time between Ginkgo's Seaport and Cambridge locations. You'll be responsible for preparing different types of growth media and agar plates using sterile techniques. You'll also help to maintain accurate growth media inventories, as well as a safe, clean, and orderly work environment for all team members. With your experience working in fast-paced lab settings and performing various media formulation activities, your role will be critical to the success of our growing team.
Please note: this role is for one of the two shifts in our rotation, which will require some weekend and/or evening hours. Our 1st shift is 8:00am - 4:00pm, and 2nd shift is 2:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Prepare different types of growth media and agar plates using sterile techniques.
- Maintain accurate growth media inventories.
- Perform lab maintenance duties, such as ordering consumables/chemicals and cleaning labware.
- Maintain a safe, clean, and orderly work environment, and comply with all safety protocols.
- Perform additional related duties, as needed.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Associate's degree or higher in a scientific or technical field
- 1 year of relevant work experience in a laboratory setting
- Prior experience with automated plate pourers a plus
- Familiarity with general laboratory skills, such as use of balances, pipetting, calibration of pH meters, unit conversions, etc.
- Ability to work safely with chemicals, hazardous materials, and flammable reagents
- Ability to collaborate, multitask, and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- High level of efficiency, attention to detail, and motivation for completing tasks accurately and on time
- Excellent interpersonal skills, positive work attitude, and appropriate level of professionalism
- Commitment to quality and continuous improvement
- Ability to rotate time between Ginkgo's Seaport and Cambridge locations
- Ability to work one of the two shifts in our rotation, which will require some weekend and/or evening hours.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.