Ginkgo is a publicly-held, well-funded, high-growth biotech company that is redesigning the living world to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our mission to “make biology easier to engineer” is poised to disrupt multiple industries by leveraging our innovative data, automation, and scale capabilities in biological engineering. As Ginkgo continues to grow, we are building out our Alliance Management team and seek a dynamic, passionate and collaborative individual who is excited to work with our partners.
As an Alliance Manager, you will be the primary contact and overall relationship holder for Ginkgo's customers, with responsibility for the success of at least one (and often multiple) major Ginkgo partnerships. Your role sits at the nexus of Ginkgo’s mission and strategy, and as the team member enabling our partners’ success on Ginkgo’s platform, you will be uniquely positioned to create impact both for our partners and for Ginkgo at large.
Alliance Management at Ginkgo is part of the Commercial Operations team, and we are looking to hire motivated candidates across multiple levels: Manager, Associate Director, and Director. Senior Alliance Manager candidates will report directly to the Head of Commercial Operations at Ginkgo, and own the success of Alliance Management across an industry vertical.
As an Alliance Manager you will have a high impact and varied role, acting as both the account “portfolio manager” who understands the overall customer strategy and advocates for the partner’s needs, and also as the “product manager” who ensures that the scientific direction being driven by the Ginkgo technical team is building towards a commercially successful product for our partner. Since you are the primary interface with our external partners at various levels (from executive leadership to technical teams), you will be in charge of driving the strategy, tactical execution, account growth, and coordination of our diverse partnership. Success in this role comes with the ability to effectively leverage the full breadth of the Ginkgo platform by coordinating with all of our constituent teams, including finance, creative, legal, commercial, technical, and corporate development.
Please note: This role requires the ability to be onsite at our Boston offices for 3+ days per week, in addition to traveling as necessary.
Title/level to be determined by experience and education.
- Act as the “CEO” of at least one Ginkgo partnership alliance, ensuring its overall success
- Maintain a strong relationship/partnership, through regular discussions and collaborations across all levels of the partner’s organization (from technical to executive)
- Work jointly with partners to identify and scope out new project opportunities where Ginkgo is uniquely positioned to act as a valuable partner
- Collaborate with partners to understand their commercial goals and overall product roadmaps, and ensure that this context is incorporated into Ginkgo’s project scoping and delivery
- Work with Ginkgo technical teams to oversee and track the progress of projects and their execution to ensure high quality and timely deliverables
- Be an excellent communicator, synthesizing complex information from disparate sources into concise and clear narratives, both internally to Ginkgo and externally with other partners
- Track project costs and forecast project revenue, owning the overall P&L of the account
- Work with our internal Commercial Operations development team to build and improve systems for enabling customer success
- Travel as necessary
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelor’s degree with 3-6 years of relevant work experience in partner-facing roles (e.g. business development, management consulting, strategic account management, alliance management)
- 2-3 years of biology, chemistry, biotechnology, or other scientific experience required (in business or technical role)
- MBA and/or PhD is a plus
- Title/level depends on education and experience
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and mobilize people across the organization, and to learn quickly and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Experience managing or coordinating small teams (3 to 7 people) for project execution is a plus
- Strong aptitude for cultivating working relationships at all levels of management, both internally and externally
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.