Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms.
We’re looking for talented engineers who are excited by the challenges of scaling and improving our foundry. Because it touches nearly every part of the foundry, the Automation Team is integral to Ginkgo’s vision for the future. The Automation Team is creating integrated robotic workcells, designing processes and building software platforms to operate walk-up robotic systems, improving how data is handled, working with scientists on scaling their processes, and much more.
All the work we do is in service of increasing Ginkgo’s capacity in terms of the number of strains engineered and the diversity of species and products we can handle. It’s an enormous challenge and we need people who are eager to get started. You’ll be working hand in hand with biologists, software developers, and other engineers to co-develop the wetware, hardware, and software infrastructure that underpin the foundry.
- Work with Foundry scientists and Automation hardware and software engineers to drive software, hardware and biological requirements
- Work with facilities and lab operations team to identify lab requirements for new systems
- Lead integrated system designs with project teams
- Manage Ginkgo Automation contractors and vendors to complete project milestones, integrated system design, build and deployment
- Lead system qualification and testing at different stages of deployment.
- Oversee system commissioning and update foundry and engineering teams on project progress
Required Experience and Capabilities
- BS or MS in mechanical, systems, industrial or bio-engineering
- Attention to detail and ability to predict long term system usability
- Desire to work on fast-paced projects
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Experience with robotics product development, particularly for Bioengineering/Pharma laboratories
- Hands on project management experience
- Ability to multitask and work on multiple projects at the same time
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.