Director/Associate Director- Biochemistry, Biocatalysis, & Enzymology
Ginkgo Bioworks, Boston, MA
THE ORGANISM COMPANY
- Lead a talented team of biochemists and enzymologists supporting a diverse portfolio of projects maintaining and fostering scientific excellence and a culture of innovation.
- Support and develop an industry-leading biochemistry, enzymology, and biocatalysis team through mentorship and coaching team members.
- Continuously improve the team by identifying relevant assay technologies and innovative approaches and helping scout and recruit new talent.
- Be accountable for team deliverables, ensuring the use of appropriate assay/detection approaches in screening to generate high-quality data, biological insights, and data-driven decisions that impact the progress of projects.
- Proactively manage the team’s project portfolio, engaging in resource planning, project prioritization, risk assessment, and mitigation strategizing while fostering collaboration and communication with internal and external stakeholders.
- Serve as a communication bridge between the Biochemistry team and functional teams comprising but not limited to project team leads, protein characterization, design, foundry analytics, operations, fermentation teams, business groups, and commercial partners.
- Apply skills in biochemistry and enzymology to advance projects and leverage external networks to provide capabilities or solutions where necessary.
- Propose, develop, and optimize novel and robust enzymatic and small-molecule detection assays for high-throughput screens with a deep understanding of the scientific purpose behind screening goals.
- Identify and develop impactful methods to assess enzymes, applying fundamental structural, mechanistic, and kinetic characterization, resulting in the discovery of newly optimized and improved enzymes, compounds, or engineered strains.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, enzymology, biocatalysis/biotransformation, biophysics, or chemical engineering with at least 8 years of relevant industrial biotech or pharmaceutical experience; or MS/BS with relevant years of industry experience.
- Previous experience leading and building a team of R&D scientists working on enzyme discovery, catalyzed molecular transformations, optimization, and biochemical characterization campaigns resulting in commercial success.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and advocacy skills across a variety of relationships including reports, team members, company-level leadership, and cross-functional teams.
- Recognized for technical rigor and scientific excellence with a strong track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and external presentations.
- Extensive knowledge and practical application of protein biochemistry/enzymology, and biophysics principles, including enzyme kinetics, coupled biocatalysis, and protein-substrate interactions are required.
- Demonstrated experience in enzyme characterization, steady-state kinetics, single turn-over kinetics, protein biochemistry, lab-scale in-vitro chemoenzymatic synthesis of products or intermediates, direct binding of ligands using SPR/ITC, and development of plate-based assays for high-throughput screening.
- Competency in general biochemical and kinetic-based assay technologies (e.g. Absorbance, Colorimetric, Luminescence, TR-FRET, and/or MS-based analytical platforms)
- Solid understanding of statistical concepts associated with assay development, DOE, and high-throughput screening.
- Experience with bench-scale microbial fermentation and scaling assays to automated, integrated screening work cells.
- Strong ability to hone in on scientific priorities, set timelines, utilize project management tools/principles, and design well-controlled, purpose-driven experiments.
About Ginkgo Bioworks
Ginkgo Bioworks is the organism company. We design custom microbes for customers across multiple markets. We build our foundries to scale the process of organism engineering using software and hardware automation. Organism engineers at Ginkgo learn from nature to develop new organisms that replace technology with biology.
Want to learn more about Ginkgo Bioworks? Visit Ginkgo Bioworks's website.
Help the world share their story