Director, HR Operations
GitHub, HQ - San Francisco
A development platform inspired by the way you work
GitHub is changing the way people build software. We're a global, mission and values-driven company committed to powering and furthering the software and developer revolution. Since its founding, GitHub has been consistently recognized as one of the most important and innovative companies on the planet, and our People Operations team is committed to furthering that dedication to innovation and creativity. We believe in the relevance and strategic importance of HR work in the twenty-first century and are looking for someone to not only up-level our own operations, but to help redefine the function for this generation of work.
We're looking for someone to join as our Director of HR Operations, overseeing and managing our global HR systems, technology, tools, data housing and compliance programs as well as, importantly, our global compensation, benefits and rewards programs. This role reports into our VP of HR and will work closely with both our Head of Talent Acquisition, our HR Ops Generalist, as well as our Business Systems team.
Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must, as is a commitment to our core values of collaboration, transparency, quality, positive impact, and getting things done. We believe in teamwork and community, and are looking for someone who can clearly articulate their vision, explain the rationale behind it, integrate feedback well, and work well with others, both within the HR team and outside of it. The right person will be able to come into our fast-paced environment, quickly build strong relationships, and then develop and execute a plan with an eye towards continuous improvement.
This role is based at our San Francisco headquarters.
- Develop a contemporary, state-of-the-art, and scalable approach to HR Operations in line with GitHub's culture and values, including relevant programs around both domestic and international compensation, equity, benefits and total rewards programs and processes.
- Work with team and company leadership in creating and implementing contemporary, data-driven systems that ground HR decision-making and strategy in empirical, predictive reality.
- As we continue to grow, proactively identify various HR technology solutions to make it easier for Hubbers to get things done. Examples may include: performance management tools, compensation input tools for managers, improvements in connecting HR tools and APIs together and with other tools we have at GitHub to make flow easier for Hubbers.
- Partner with functional business leaders to become a trusted advisor and coach to help the teams grow and be as effective as possible.
- Work with our HR Generalist to organize and manage all employee data, files and information in ways that are relevant, easy to manage, and compliant.
- Partner closely with our trusty Legal team to ensure compliance and execution of necessary activities such as EEO compliance, Affirmative Action Planning, mandatory trainings, etc.
- Close cross-departmental work with our Office, Finance, Internal Communications, Business Systems, and IT teams;
- Strong and trusted partnership with our Executive team and Board of Directors' Compensation Committee;
- Ensure we scale into new domestic and international locations not only in a compliant way, but in a manner consistent with and in furtherance of our culture and values;
- Lead and/or participate in special projects and assignments as needed;
- Help make GitHub the place that supports and encourages all Hubbers to do the best work of their lives.
- Significant experience designing a holistic approach to global compensation, benefits and equity incentive programs, including benefits program analysis, evaluation, and implementation, as well as work recognition programs;
- Proven track record of building and improving operational processes and procedures, including demonstrable experience selecting and implementing new HR systems from scratch, at and for scale;
- Demonstrated program ownership and consistent delivery on commitments;
- Great organizational skills with exceptional follow through and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of creative technology solutions that help us scale programs and improve efficiencies is important. Strong systems knowledge in HRIS systems is helpful (we use Bamboo HR).
- Strategic view, able to perform cost-benefit analyses, accurately assess risk, forecast both long and short-term outcomes, and evaluate a wide variety of solutions.
- Experience identifying and resolving issues independently - a solid sense of accountability and sound personal judgment are musts.
- Exceptional analytical skills, comfortable working with large amounts of data (and data analysis tools like excel) and communicating data findings, experience establishing, tracking and presenting program metrics.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to coherently and strategically present information, findings and recommendations in a clear manner.
- Minimum of 8+ years of HR Operations, HR Technology, compensation and benefits, and total rewards programs or related experience. Preferred experience with global, fast-growing software organizations, including ones that have transitioned from private to public.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over fifteen million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
- Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
- Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
- Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
- Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
- Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch bene fits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too. GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate.
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recruiter.
GitHub is how people build software. With a community of more than 14 million people, developers can discover, use and contribute to over 25 million projects using a powerful, collaborative workflow.
Whether using GitHub.com or your own instance of GitHub Enterprise, you can integrate GitHub with third party tools, from project management to continuous deployment, to build software in the way that works best for you.