Engineering Manager - Security Operations
GitHub, United States
A development platform inspired by the way you work
GitHub Security is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team of Security Operations(SecOps) Engineers. You will foster an environment of engineering excellence and mentorship. The team you manage and coach will focus on the systems, processes, and tools that help GitHub securely build, operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. The leadership you bring will provide oversight to work efforts contributing to the design, implementation and maintenance of systems including GitHub’s Production and Corporate logging pipeline, identity & access management systems, and core security services for vulnerability management and security monitoring.
GitHub’s Security team is highly distributed, like the majority of the company, and to be successful you must thrive in an environment of distributed work and asynchronous communication. Strong written communication skills will benefit you, as will your ability to develop strong working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe. If you have a foundation in information security and infrastructure, enjoy supporting humans across all experience levels from fresh-out-of-college associates to seasoned senior engineers, and want to help build a world class security team, then this might be the gig for you.
- Technical leader developing and driving adoption of security standards and requirements and implementing operational practices throughout the company.
- People manager devoted to fostering the best in their team and acting as a focal point for cross team and cross departmental initiatives.
- The usual People Manager work - Regular 1 on 1’s, supporting GitHub’s culture of transparency and improvement through actionable feedback, helping individuals plan, balance prioritize and execute on their responsibilities, projects, and career development objectives.
- Manage complex projects spanning teams in and outside of the Security department.
- Experience guiding strategic and tactical technical decision making.
- Experience managing small to medium sized engineering teams.
- Experience and interest in developing programmatic practices for day-to-day operational management and responsibilities.
- Several years experience focused on security operations and programs, with a strong foundation in other areas, such as vulnerability management, infrastructure, application, system, and networking.
- Experience building and securing large-scale web/cloud applications and infrastructure.
- Proficiency in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python and Bash.
- Exceptional communication skills with a strong sense of empathy and appreciation for the written word.
- Experience supporting governance and regulatory requirements.
- Experience building infrastructure automation and orchestration.
- Experience managing and working with distributed and remote teams.
- Proven technical project management experience, formal or informal.
- Tenacious tinkering, spelunking and curiosity capacity.
- The ability to take a pragmatic approach to decision making while applying practical security design principles and practices.
- Familiarity with configuration management capabilities and software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- Have a working knowledge of Git and GitHub.
- Experience with containerization or virtualization.
- Can develop and maintain systems through reusable code and tooling.
- Are an active contributor to open source security projects and/or security community initiatives.
- Experience with systems languages (C/C++, Go, Rust).
- Experience with Linux systems internals.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over fifteen million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recruiter!
GitHub is how people build software. With a community of more than 14 million people, developers can discover, use and contribute to over 25 million projects using a powerful, collaborative workflow.
Whether using GitHub.com or your own instance of GitHub Enterprise, you can integrate GitHub with third party tools, from project management to continuous deployment, to build software in the way that works best for you.
Want to learn more about GitHub? Visit https://github.com
Jobs You May Like
Time Inc., New York, NY
Staff Software Engineer, Machine Learning
PlayStation, San Francisco, CA
Senior Engineering Manager, Search Infrastructure (San Francisco or Brooklyn)
Etsy, Brooklyn OR San Francisco
Application Developer (Full-Stack)
NetSuite Software Engineer
Bonobos, New York, NY