Staff Software Engineer - Billing Platform
GitHub, Remote - US / Canada
A development platform inspired by the way you work
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub. We’re looking for a staff engineer to help re-architect our billing platform to support the scale and complexity of the fast-growing portfolio of GitHub products. You’ll work with our team of engineers, designers, and product managers to lead building a world-class billing experience designed to help customers navigate the complex world of consumption-based billing. In addition, you’ll be working to ensure we meet the highest standards of operational best practices, including designing solutions to improve the engineering experience surrounding GitHub billing.
- Work with the team to understand technical constraints, and develop, communicate, and track against realistic plans to consistently ship products, features, and bug fixes
- Coordinate with engineering and product leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- Work with the team to build architecturally consistent, high quality software to reliably meet customer needs and exceed their expectations
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
- Own and advocate for the health and quality of the systems that the team builds, participate in an on-call rotation, and respond to incidents as necessary
- Help cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Help ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing and advancing in their respective careers through mentorship, pairing, and delegating work that helps them grow
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- Expert in Ruby
- Experience in Go a plus
- Experience with Git, GitHub, and RESTful API design
- Experience with consumption-based billing processes and technologies and building scalable billing architectures is a plus
- Experience designing, building, scaling and maintaining distributed systems
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Strong customer focus and data-driven approach
- You show humility when you are right and have the confidence to admit mistakes
- Experience effectively contributing to technical strategy and roadmaps
- Understanding of production system monitoring and observability
- Troubleshooting skills across network, application, caching, queuing, load-balancing, storage and distributed services layers.
- Excellent analytical skills as well as both verbal and written communication skills. We’re a distributed team so strong communication is critical.
- Passionate about mentoring and helping their peers, both inside and outside of their team, to grow
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
GitHub is how people build software. With a community of more than 14 million people, developers can discover, use and contribute to over 25 million projects using a powerful, collaborative workflow.
Whether using GitHub.com or your own instance of GitHub Enterprise, you can integrate GitHub with third party tools, from project management to continuous deployment, to build software in the way that works best for you.
Want to learn more about GitHub? Visit GitHub's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.