Senior Engineering Manager - Machine Learning
GitHub, Remote - US
A development platform inspired by the way you work
GitHub’s vision is to supercharge our services with data in order to democratize software engineering worldwide. We seek to enable more people to engage in the creation of code and to participate in the future both creatively and economically. Doing so requires that we make it easier, safer, faster, and more expressive to create and understand code, and enable people to connect with each other and with code projects more effectively. Only this commitment will allow us to realize the significant opportunities before us.
GitHub has one of the largest and richest software-related data sets on the planet. Achieving our goals involves unifying and learning on top of that data at massive scale. This data includes code, git graphs of code changes, comments, pull requests, issues, users, contributors, and metadata, including languages/frameworks, ASTs and diffs, module and dependency graphs, and annotations from non-user agents like CI systems.
Given the broad scope of our machine learning domain and data sources, a leader in this area must be able to review and assess techniques, models, and frameworks in a fast-moving field, and help guide the team toward well reasoned and pragmatic approaches to generating and validating results.
As the leader of this team, you will build and maintain the data sets and models that engineers inside and outside the company build upon. You will collaborate with engineering and product leadership to deliver the capabilities described above. You and your team will be responsible for helping the company achieve key strategic initiatives.
- Partnering with Product Management on long-term vision, roadmap priorities, and product lifecycle from model formulation through product integration
- Driving infrastructure requirements to support learning on top of large data sets
- Review and assess techniques, models, and frameworks
- Partnering with engineering and product leaders to ensure alignment across functions
- Setting guidelines for use cases that require machine learning vs. other methods
- Promoting team growth via coaching, mentoring, and new opportunities
- Staffing and shaping the machine learning team to increase team impact
- Managing day to day execution and communication
- Deep expertise and experience in Machine Learning theory and methods
- Experience building/growing teams
- A track record of high impact delivery
- An innovation mindset
- The ability to balance near-term product feature work and long-term research
- A track record of partnership with engineering and product leaders
- Experience leading projects and teams on machine learning projects
- Experience building and organizing multi-level teams
- Passionate about crafting and fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Ability to lead a diverse set of geographically distributed engineers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 28 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
GitHub is how people build software. With a community of more than 14 million people, developers can discover, use and contribute to over 25 million projects using a powerful, collaborative workflow.
Whether using GitHub.com or your own instance of GitHub Enterprise, you can integrate GitHub with third party tools, from project management to continuous deployment, to build software in the way that works best for you.
Want to learn more about GitHub? Visit GitHub's website.
Jobs You May Like
Technology - General Applications UAE
noon.com, Dubai, UAE
Search Team - Engineering Manager
Scribd, San Francisco headquarters
Autonomous Driving Research Engineer - Planning and Control
DiDi Labs, Silicon Valley
Foursquare, New York
Office Services Coordinator - Part Time