Engineering Manager, Platform Data Services
GitHub, Remote - US
A development platform inspired by the way you work
We're looking for an experienced engineering manager to help lead a distributed team of Platform Engineers. This role is not about dictating or managing a team member’s work directly, but rather guiding and serving to ensure the happiness and productivity of the team. The primary goal of this job is to enable every team member to do the best work of their lives.
The Platform Engineering group is primarily responsible for building a resilient, highly available platform for internal developers and integrators to add value for GitHub users.
The engineers on GitHub's Platform Data team are responsible for the scalability, maintainability and performance of our MySQL database and provide robust APIs on top of our data model.
The Platform team is highly distributed and the right candidate can thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have strong written and verbal communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
- Scale our database and application across multiple regions.
- Actively write software as a technical leader on the team.
- Guiding the development team’s vision, best practices, and priorities.
- Meeting 1-1 with team members on a regular basis.
- Planning and supporting career development.
- Giving guided performance feedback.
- Serving as hiring manager for the team.
- Reviewing code and leading small group discussions about engineering issues.
- Exploring the technical tradeoffs of every decision.
- Coordinating work with engineering teams across the stack.
- 3+ years managing engineering teams
- Experience building and scaling distributed, highly available systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Passionate about creating and fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience managing distributed relational and non-relational data stores.
- Have experience managing/working on distributed teams.
- Have experience with MySQL databases.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over fifteen million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recruiter!
GitHub is how people build software. With a community of more than 14 million people, developers can discover, use and contribute to over 25 million projects using a powerful, collaborative workflow.
Whether using GitHub.com or your own instance of GitHub Enterprise, you can integrate GitHub with third party tools, from project management to continuous deployment, to build software in the way that works best for you.