Site Reliability Engineer
GitHub, Remote - US, Remote - Canada, Remote - Europe, Remote - Australia
A development platform inspired by the way you work
GitHub is looking for engineers to join our Site Reliability Engineering organization. You will focus on the systems and tools that enable our engineers to operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. Some of the infrastructure and services you will help maintain include server provisioning, configuration management, networking, and our global physical footprint.
The SRE team is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As an SRE at GitHub you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
- Develop and maintain infrastructure through reusable code and tooling.
- Use metrics and monitoring systems to ensure performance, scalability, and stability.
- Cultivate the open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Find ways to use existing systems to improve scalability and performance for our platform.
- Interact with other teams outside of the SRE organization to ensure the uptime and reliability of our infrastructure.
- You have a track record of building infrastructure automation.
- Ability to work in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python, and Bash.
- Proficiency in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python, and Bash.
- A deep understanding of the Linux operating system, at both a high- and low-level.
- Familiarity with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- A tenacious ability to diagnose and fix performance and reliability problems.
- You use a pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices.
- You've built highly available systems at scale.
- Capacity planning for large, multi-tier web systems.
- Interest in or experience with systems languages (C/C++, Go, Rust)
- Contributions to open source.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience with Linux kernel internals (TCP/IP stack, developing modules).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over fifteen million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recruiter!
GitHub is how people build software. With a community of more than 14 million people, developers can discover, use and contribute to over 25 million projects using a powerful, collaborative workflow.
Whether using GitHub.com or your own instance of GitHub Enterprise, you can integrate GitHub with third party tools, from project management to continuous deployment, to build software in the way that works best for you.
Want to learn more about GitHub? Visit https://github.com
Jobs You May Like
DevOps Engineer, Developer Tools
Palantir Technologies, Seattle, WA
Senior iOS Engineer
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Operations Engineer (Cloud Services)
Wikimedia, San Francisco, CA or Remote
Mechanical Engineer (Contract)
Airbnb, San Francisco, California
Senior Frontend Engineer
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Front End Developer