Senior Data Scientist
Grindr, HQ - West Hollywood
The largest all-male location based network in the world
Why Work at Grindr?
Since 2009, Grindr has built the world’s largest social network for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. Now more than just an app, we’re a family of lifestyle brands with the shared mission to connect LGBTQ people with the world around them:
- Grindr – The location-based social app that started it all. Over 3 million people use Grindr daily, from every country on the planet.
- INTO – A digital magazine dedicated to queer perspectives: news, culture, commentary, video, and more.
- Grindr for Equality (G4E) – Our social mission to promote justice, health, and safety for LGBTQ individuals around the globe.
- Gaymoji – A one-of-a-kind collection of over 500+ stickers available on iOS, Android, and in the Grindr app.
- Slumbr – An event series for the high-minded partygoer, combining fashion, music, and art.
Behind the brands, Grindr is an inclusive and passionate family of thinkers, innovators, leaders, and most importantly, doers. We’re fueled by endless curiosity, constant collaboration, and a knack for crossing every finish line – all within an agile growth environment. We also enjoy tons of perks, great social events, and stunning views from our HQ in West Hollywood.
Our team is growing, and we’re looking to add a Senior Data Scientist that will bring their passion for data, and help us build products that connect people and experiences, including creating innovative solutions for our users.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work on open source machine learning data projects, image classification, craft next-generation recommendation platforms, and build best in class fraud and spam detection algorithms.
We have embedded analysts on the team - the Senior Data Scientist will be the subject matter expert and mentor for BI analysis and data scientists throughout the company, boosting user satisfaction and monetization.
- Working closely with the data engineering team, developing products from raw data ingestion, through model development and validation to productization.
- Constantly prototype (create new algorithms using open source machine learning tools to develop proof of concepts that will perform at scale)
- Create visualization and infographics to guide the business to understand our user base and make key decisions.
- Geek out on large datasets and generate insights which generates value to the business.
- Work on GIS Modeling, Matrix Factorization Models, Online Learning Algorithms, AB Testing, Multi Outcome Optimization
- 5+ years of experience using quantitative data analysis to solve business problems
- 5+ years building machine models (working on prediction models, recommender systems and segmentations).
- Experience working as a principal or lead in building out data driven products (online and/or mobile applications).
- Significant experience with statistical programming languages (R, Python) or bring your favourite analytical tool kit.
- Experience working in a AWS environment, moving large data back and forth from S3 to Redshift
- Experience shepherding data science projects from inception to production launch.
- Write queries in ANSI and Postgres SQL.
- Experience building real-time data pipelines within high volume data environments
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for your work, attention to detail, and a positive attitude. \
- Master or Ph.D. degree in Engineering or related quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Economics)
- Experience with JVM ecosystem software development
- Familiar with writing software in a Java or Scala
- Experience with data product deployment and A/B testing
- Experience with modern Apache data stack such as Kafka, Spark, Flink and Beam
- Knowledge of Natural Language Processing and/or Image Processing
- Knowledge of Bayesian and Deep Learning approaches; graphical models (nice to have)
Benefits & Perks
- 100% covered medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited sick policy
- Competitive Salaries
- Catered daily lunch
- Stocked kitchen
- Free on-site parking
- Casual dress environment
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer
*Recruiting firms that submit resumes to Grindr without first entering into a written contract will not be entitled to any compensation on candidates referred by that firm
Launched in early 2009, Grindr now boasts more than a million daily users in 192 countries. To join them in their sunny Los Angeles offices, check out their open jobs here.
Be a Better Grindr Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Grindr when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Grindr? Visit http://www.grindr.com/
Jobs You May Like
Director of Analytics
MealPal, New York
ThirdLove, San Francisco, California
Data Protection and Information Security Analyst
Tradeshift, Bucharest, Romania
Measurement Solutions Manager
Pinterest, San Francisco
Software Sales Development Program
Qualtrics , Provo
Business Systems Analyst - Financial Applications
Yelp, San Francisco, CA