Senior Data Engineer
Grindr, HQ - West Hollywood
The largest all-male location based network in the world
Why work at Grindr?
Grindr is among the top highest grossing apps in the iOS App Store and boasts some of the most engaged users across all social networking apps. We offer a constantly evolving, agile startup environment that enables and rewards innovation, teamwork, and diligence.
Situated right in the heart of West Hollywood, we're the No. 1 location-based mobile social app on the market, and we cater to a massive user base of over 3 million daily active users in every country in the world. Since our inception in 2009, we've been dedicated to finding new and better ways to connect people using mobile technology.
We offer a lot of perks and a collaborative office filled with healthy snacks and friendly people.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer with a passion for owning cutting edge big data architectures to join our Data Innovation team. Our Data Innovation team powers our product teams with models and APIs to drive new features, delivers analysis to further improve engagement in existing features, and empowers our business with real-time insights to drive growth in market share, engagement, and revenue. We see 1 trillion events per year and process 10TB of data daily.
The big data space is growing rapidly at Grindr and we need a data engineer with chops in cutting edge real-time streaming technologies and ambitions to achieve high quality and reliability with TDD, automation, and continuous delivery. Beyond the data pipeline, you will also be instrumental in bringing the data-driven products and features to life.
- Work closely with stakeholders to define requirements and execute in small iterations to amplify learning and feedback
- Stay on top of new technologies through R&D and prototyping to continuously improve our big data architectures and systems to streamline how we deliver value with high quality to our end users
- Implementing ETL process, moving data between systems including S3, Aurora, Redshift, Redis, Kafka, and Spark.
- Monitoring performance and advising any necessary infrastructure changes
- Champion data governance and capabilities throughout Grindr
Skills and Qualifications
- Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles
- Strong programming experience in SQL
- Strong understanding of TDD
- Experience with Scala, Python, and Java
- Proficiency with Spark, MapReduce, and Redshift
- Experience with building stream-processing systems, using solutions such as Storm or Spark-Streaming
- Experience with dimensional data modeling and schema design in Data Warehouses
- Familiarity with tools like Zeppelin, Jupyter. Databricks experience a plus
- Good knowledge of Big Data querying tools, such as Presto or Hive
- Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources
- An understanding of Machine Learning techniques and best practices is a plus
- Knowledge of various ETL techniques and frameworks, such as Airflow or Fluentd
- Experience with various messaging systems, such as Kafka and RabbitMQ
- Good understanding of Lambda Architecture, along with its advantages and drawbacks
Benefits & Perks
- 100% covered medical and dental insurance
- Generous Parental Leave
- Unlimited sick policy
- Competitive Salaries
- Catered daily lunch
- Stocked kitchen
- Free on-site parking
- Casual dress environment
Launched in early 2009, Grindr now boasts more than a million daily users in 192 countries. To join them in their sunny Los Angeles offices, check out their open jobs here.
Be a Better Grindr Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Grindr when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Grindr? Visit http://www.grindr.com/
Jobs You May Like
Slack, San Francisco
Backend Developer - Data Platform
Lead Engineer, Media Engineering
Livestream, Brooklyn, New York
Movable Ink , Movable Ink - Costa Rica
Sr. Frontend Engineer
Moat, New York
Staff Web Engineer - Discovery
Reddit, San Francisco