What’s so interesting about this role?
We’re looking to add a Senior Data Engineer to our Data Platform team. We’re in the process of modernizing our Data Platform with the goal of making data a strategic asset to all aspects of Grindr’s business. We recently finished a lift-and-shift of our PB-scale Data Lake to Snowflake and we’re beginning a next phase of redesigning our pipelines and data models. Goals broadly include near-real time product analytics, automated data quality alerts, a common event taxonomy, AB testing and a general consideration of feature engineering requirements in partnership with Data Scientists. Along the way we’re eliminating redundant code and streamlining processes.
Data Engineering has visibility and exposure to a broad set of crucial business functions at Grindr. The Data Platform team supports Data Engineering for all of Grindr by collaborating with product, engineering, and embedded analytics teams while collaborating with the core analytics team on the Data Platform.
The Data Platform is composed of 3 general groups: Data Engineering and Core Product Analytics, Data Applications, and Data Science / ML Ops. Data Engineers coordinate across these teams. For example, help us upgrade our event firehose by migrating our 100K events-per-second firehose to a Kafka-based system. Build deep expertise in Airflow and Snowflake tasks as you write SQL that mutates trillions of records. Help develop and curate a new Data Catalog.
What’s the job?
- Design, develop and deliver data pipelines and datasets to production, considering internal data governance, security and scale
- Develop near real-time data pipelines using change-data-capture and event-based processing
- Maintain and enforce the business contracts on how data should be represented and stored
- Implementing ETL processes, moving data between systems including S3, Snowflake, Kafka, and Spark
- Work closely with our Data Scientists, SREs, and Product Managers to ensure software is high quality and meets user requirements
What we’ll love about you
- Significant experience with dimensional data modeling for a Data Lake / Warehouse
- Expert in ETL and ELT (managing high-quality reliable ETL pipelines)
- Experience with relational databases and expert in SQL development
- 5+ years of experience working with data at scale or complex data analysis
- 7+ years experience with Python or equivalent
- Experience with agile engineering practices such as TDD, Continuous Integration, automated testing, and deployment
- Experience in code first data orchestrators (Airflow, Dagster, Prefect)
We’ll really swoon if you have
- Experience as a Data Engineer using Snowflake or Databricks
- Previous business experience working with customers around data-centric processes and analysis
- Experience with Data Quality & Governance tools (Observability, Visibility, Cataloging, Lineage, Governance)
- Familiarity with legal compliance (with data management tools) data classification, and retention
- Experience with complex business change management and process implementations
What you’ll love about us
- Global impact. Grindr is the world leading LGTBQ+ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGTBQ+ people around the world.
- High Growth. Like the company itself, this role offers significant room for growth and development
- Remote First: We have offices in LA, NYC, SF, and Chicago, though the company is set-up not just as remote-friendly, but remote-first. More than 30% of our employees work outside the cities where we have offices. Today, we are set-up to hire easily in the US and Canada. If you live outside one of these countries, just let us know so we can discuss how we can support you.
- Comp: Industry-competitive compensation, including equity for all employees
- Benefits: Unlimited vacation policy
- Family insurance: We provide competitive insurance coverage for health, dental and vision for you and your family.
- Retirement Savings: Generous 401(k) plan with company match
- Other Perks: Stipends for home office, wellness, food, and cell phone and interest, as well as many company-sponsored events
Since launching in 2009, Grindr has grown into the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. We have millions of daily users who use our location-based technology in almost every country in every corner of the planet.
Today, Grindr proudly represents a modern LGBTQ+ lifestyle that expands into new platforms. From social issues to original content, we continue to blaze innovative paths with a meaningful impact for our community. At Grindr, we create a safe space where you can discover, navigate, and get zero feet away from the queer world around you.
As of June 2020, Grindr has new owners with a track record of multiple successful Bay Area start-ups. The new leadership is demonstrating a renewed commitment to creating an experience for users that is safe, fun, and productive, as well as a positive & uplifting company culture in which everyone can be their best selves. At the heart of Grindr’s mission in this new chapter is a shared set of core values including transparency, accountability, experimentation (failing fast), and strong allegiance to the LGBTQ+ community.
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer
Launched in early 2009, Grindr now boasts more than a million daily users in 192 countries. To join them in their sunny Los Angeles offices, check out their open jobs here.
Be a Better Grindr Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Grindr when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Grindr? Visit Grindr's website.
Payroll Services. Benefits. Compliance.