Head of Infrastructure Engineering
Gusto, San Francisco
It’s time to tame the chaos of payroll, benefits, and HR.
Gusto is fundamentally changing how the world works by empowering everyone to put people first. Gusto reimagines payroll, benefits, HR, and personal finance by automating the most complicated, impersonal business tasks and making them simple and delightful.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead multiple teams that fall under our Infrastructure group, whose charters include production engineering, release engineering, observability tools, authoring tools, and general developer experience
- Responsible for maintaining our production, staging, and test environments on AWS thorough configuration automation tools like Terraform and Chef
- Think ahead and set the vision and multi-year roadmap for Gusto’s infrastructure
- Work with our Product Engineering team to ensure alignment of roadmaps and communicate clear boundaries with other teams.
- Make sure that our entire engineering team has the best tools they need to seamlessly and efficiently ship code everyday
- Work closely with our Security team to ensure our environments are safe and compliant
- Partner with recruiting to help scale the Infrastructure group by actively sourcing and closing the best talent
- Bring out the best in the individuals in your teams by enabling them to do the best work of their lives
- Ensure our services communicate with each other seamlessly, have minimal downtime, and recover quickly
- Impact the productivity and happiness of our entire team with the tools you build. You'll be the daily recipient of hugs and high-fives from our engineering and support teams
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- At least 8 years of experience in an Infrastructure role using a Ruby & AWS stack or similar technologies
- At least 4 years of engineering management experience
- At least 10 years of software development experience
- Technical leadership and execution: Ability to set a long-term vision for the team and drive long-term execution towards that vision
- Strong technical anchor: Takes a through approach to technical design and execution of large technical projects. Brings clarity and structure to the technical and non-technical aspects of the project
- Shielder and communicator: Good at communicating organizational boundaries, setting expectations with others, and interfacing with product engineering teams
- A good people manager: Able to mentor, coach, and develop mid level and senior engineers to do the best work of their lives. Works to forge the bonds of a strong team
- Technical ability: Willingness to be hands-on at times and looked up to for technical abilities and experience
- Talent magnet: Track record of hiring engineers at scale
- Security minded: Understands the importance of security and compliance when working with personal data
- Familiarity with Gusto’s stack: Enjoys working and deploying technologies such as Terraform, Chef, Kubernetes, AWS, Ruby, Rails, MySql, and Redis
Here's more about the team with a few highlights from our Engineering Blog:
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.
We are Gusto Founded in 2011, Gusto provides payroll, benefits and HR to modern companies. We have offices in San Francisco and Denver, but thanks to our 40,000 small business customers and their employees, there’s a little piece of us in all 50 states. We believe that humans aren’t resources. When we come to work, we don’t leave our humanity at the door. We bring life with us: our feats and friendships, our adventures and aspirations. Great businesses treat us like people, not ID numbers. When that happens, work becomes a source of energy rather than fatigue. It creates a virtuous cycle where life improves work, and work improves our lives. That’s why we started Gusto. Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life.
Want to learn more about Gusto? Visit Gusto's website.
Jobs You May Like
Agile Practice Lead - Software Development
Pivotal Software, Anywhere in the USA
Jampp, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Cloud Operations Analyst
Palantir Technologies, Washington, D.C.
Pre- and Post-Sales Engineer
Lalamove, Bangkok, Thailand
QA, Quality Systems Specialist
Bluebird Bio, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Robinhood, Menlo Park, CA