Software Engineer, Growth
Gusto, San Francisco
It’s time to tame the chaos of payroll, benefits, and HR.
Gusto is making the most complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal. Imagine payroll that brings everyone peace of mind, HR that transforms work into a community, and benefits that help people plan for a better future. That’s what we’re building at Gusto.
We’re looking for a strong, motivated, and creative engineer to join our Growth Engineering team.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Combine your engineering skills with an entrepreneurial mindset to find new and innovative ways to bring users onto the Gusto platform
- Participate in weekly experiment brainstorming and impact analysis to ensure we’re working on the right things
- Use data to concretely understand the impact of your work in the form of experiment results and team-level user acquisition metrics
- Rapidly engineer new features as user-facing experiments to support data-driven product and growth decisions
- Develop and manage engineering-led user acquisition channels like our Referrals Program to generate millions of dollars in new revenue per year
- Collaborate closely with our Marketing and Design teams on cross-functional projects to refine Gusto’s brand and improve ease of signup for our users
- Work on a very fast-paced team designing and running experiments across many Gusto codebases ranging in size from days to weeks
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- At least 3 years of software engineering experience with a focus on user-facing web applications
- Experience with ES6, Ruby on Rails or similar (Django, Express, Play, etc.), and React or similar (Backbone, Angular, Ember, Vue, etc.)
- Strong communication skills. Enjoys collaborating with non-technical partner teams
- Always ready to explore new tools, libraries, and vendors. Not afraid to ask questions. Willing to learn what you don’t already know
- Experience working on Growth Engineering at another company
- Experience working at an early-stage startup
- Comfortable working on a mix of open ended experiment ideas and projects with detailed specifications. Great at identifying edge cases
- Experience with event analytics (Amplitude, Mixpanel, Kissmetrics, etc.) and experimentation (A/B, multivariate)
- Comfortable working with data and digging into numbers to find issues and insights. Strong SQL skills
- Loves thinking outside the box to come up with creative growth projects
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.
We are Gusto Founded in 2011, Gusto provides payroll, benefits and HR to modern companies. We have offices in San Francisco and Denver, but thanks to our 40,000 small business customers and their employees, there’s a little piece of us in all 50 states. We believe that humans aren’t resources. When we come to work, we don’t leave our humanity at the door. We bring life with us: our feats and friendships, our adventures and aspirations. Great businesses treat us like people, not ID numbers. When that happens, work becomes a source of energy rather than fatigue. It creates a virtuous cycle where life improves work, and work improves our lives. That’s why we started Gusto. Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life.