Software Engineering Manager
Gusto, San Francisco
It’s time to tame the chaos of payroll, benefits, and HR.
Gusto is making the most complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal. Imagine payroll that brings everyone peace of mind, HR that transforms work into a community, and benefits that help people plan for a better future. That’s what we’re building at Gusto.
We’re looking for a strong, motivated, and creative engineer to lead part of the Engineering team. As a leader on this team, you’ll be given full autonomy over everything in your domain as you scale what this team means at Gusto.
Here’s what you'll do:
- Lead and mentor a team of 3-4 talented engineers
- Work on exciting new products, helping employers build communities within their organizations and building great places to work for their employees
- Collaborate closely with our product team to define, plan, and prioritize our product roadmap
- Write code every day. Develop, test, and deploy features across the entire stack alongside your teammates
- Ship products that are integral to Gusto’s long-term strategy and have significant growth impact
- Partner with recruiting to help scale the engineering team by actively sourcing and closing new talent
- Bring out the best in the individuals on your team by enabling them to do the best work of their lives.
Here's what we're looking for:
- 5+ years industry experience in software engineering, with considerable full-stack web application experience
- 2+ years of management experience
- Strong hands on coding, design, and architectural skills
- Comfortable with ambiguity and rapid change: excited about pushing out lots of code quickly and constantly iterating
- Thorough and methodical: you enjoy working with data and using it to make informed business decisions
- Empathetic and user-focused: you care deeply about the product experience, you understand users’ motivations and frustrations, and you genuinely want to help them
- Empathetic and employee-focused: you care deeply about the people in your team, helping them to achieve their personal and professional goals, and enabling them to do the best work of their lives.
- Experience working in our stack (Ruby on Rails, React.js) is a plus, but not required
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.
We are Gusto Founded in 2011, Gusto provides payroll, benefits and HR to modern companies. We have offices in San Francisco and Denver, but thanks to our 40,000 small business customers and their employees, there’s a little piece of us in all 50 states. We believe that humans aren’t resources. When we come to work, we don’t leave our humanity at the door. We bring life with us: our feats and friendships, our adventures and aspirations. Great businesses treat us like people, not ID numbers. When that happens, work becomes a source of energy rather than fatigue. It creates a virtuous cycle where life improves work, and work improves our lives. That’s why we started Gusto. Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life.