Software Engineer, Trust & Safety
Gusto, San Francisco
It’s time to tame the chaos of payroll, benefits, and HR.
We’re looking for a talented and motivated full-stack engineer with 2+ years of experience and a passion for building user trust in Gusto’s platform. As an engineer on our new Trust & Safety team, you'll work with our Security, Design, Product, and other Engineering teams to find a perfect balance between user security and user experience. You’ll plan, design and architect user safety features, build backend APIs (mostly Rails), write the front-end code that consumes said APIs (mostly React.js), and own security features in our app.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Own what you build as you architect, test, and refine the Gusto platform
- Find innovative ways to provide world-class user safety AND great user experiences
- Lay the foundation for Gusto’s identity and authentication framework, which other teams can leverage
- Make Gusto an industry leader in trust and safety UX. Share learnings and best practices with wider tech community
- Keep our customer’s PII (Personally Identifiable Information) and PHI (Protected Health Information) safe
- Make Gusto more secure for hundreds of thousands of users using our development workflow
- Be surrounded by individuals who are doing the best work of their lives and loving every moment of it
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 2 years of experience in full-stack development
- Passion for creating and shipping memorable security experiences for customers
- Appreciation for a test-driven, code review culture
- Successful track record building distributed, high-throughput applications that scale
- Experience turning wireframes and mockups into elegantly executed code
- Well-structured, easily maintainable, well-documented code that balances beauty and pragmatism
Here's more about the team with a few highlights from our engineering blog:
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.
We are Gusto Founded in 2011, Gusto provides payroll, benefits and HR to modern companies. We have offices in San Francisco and Denver, but thanks to our 40,000 small business customers and their employees, there’s a little piece of us in all 50 states. We believe that humans aren’t resources. When we come to work, we don’t leave our humanity at the door. We bring life with us: our feats and friendships, our adventures and aspirations. Great businesses treat us like people, not ID numbers. When that happens, work becomes a source of energy rather than fatigue. It creates a virtuous cycle where life improves work, and work improves our lives. That’s why we started Gusto. Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life.