Senior Data Scientist
Gusto, San Francisco
It’s time to tame the chaos of payroll, benefits, and HR.
Gusto is looking for an experienced data scientist skilled at building and deploying predictive models and performing deep statistical analyses to support and accelerate our growth initiatives.
In this role you will partner with our Marketing, Sales and Growth Product teams to build and deploy models and conduct analyses that enable Gusto to grow faster and more efficiently. As a core member of a new and impactful team, you will also be a core contributor to building our data science practice from the ground up!
The Data Science team leverages Gusto’s data to deliver data-informed insights for our customers and inform product direction and decision-making. We operate full-stack, conducting analyses, prototyping and deploying predictive models and statistical tools both for internal use and for our customers.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Build and deploy models that can be used for forecasting and optimization, in areas such as:
- Predicting lead and customer value (conversion, churn, growth, etc.)
- Targeting upsell of additional products and product tiers both in-app and through marketing and sales efforts
- Helping our product fulfillment teams onboard new customers faster and more efficiently
- Develop reusable statistical tools for tracking and analyzing growth experiments
- Conduct ad hoc statistical analyses and deep dives into our data to support Gusto’s growth and better understand the small businesses we serve
- Enhance and contribute to the team’s core analysis and modeling systems and libraries
- Present and communicate results across the company
- Identify new opportunities to leverage data to improve Gusto’s products and help our business
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- At least 5 years experience conducting statistical analyses on large datasets, ideally in a business context (can supplement with academic experience where appropriate)
- Experience applying a variety of statistical and modeling techniques using Python, R or another statistical modeling language, as indicated by familiarity with many of the following techniques - generalized linear modeling, regularization, ensemble models (e.g., random forest, gradient boosting), Bayesian analysis methods
- Strong programming skills - comfortable with all phases of the data science development process, from initial analysis all the way through to deployment
- Excellent communication skills - able to effectively deliver findings and recommendations to non-technical stakeholders in a clear and compelling fashion
- PhD or Masters plus equivalent experience in a quantitative field
- Experience designing valid controlled experiments and conducting robust analyses on the resulting data is a plus
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.
We are Gusto Founded in 2011, Gusto provides payroll, benefits and HR to modern companies. We have offices in San Francisco and Denver, but thanks to our 40,000 small business customers and their employees, there’s a little piece of us in all 50 states. We believe that humans aren’t resources. When we come to work, we don’t leave our humanity at the door. We bring life with us: our feats and friendships, our adventures and aspirations. Great businesses treat us like people, not ID numbers. When that happens, work becomes a source of energy rather than fatigue. It creates a virtuous cycle where life improves work, and work improves our lives. That’s why we started Gusto. Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life.
Want to learn more about Gusto? Visit Gusto's website.
Jobs You May Like
Kenya - Senior User Researcher
Director of Product Innovation - Kids, Teen & Family
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Sr Product Manager, Apps
Ring Inc., Santa Monica, CA
Lalamove, Hong Kong
Engineering Workshop Technician
Faraday Future, Gardena, CA
Field CTO - EMEA