Sr. Software Engineer, Backend
Gusto, San Francisco
It’s time to tame the chaos of payroll, benefits, and HR.
Do you have experience building and working with APIs to scale systems and services? Do you love designing and working on systems with lots of moving parts?
At Gusto, we are building the future of automated payroll and people management software. We process tens of billions of dollars a year (and growing), manage benefits and taxes for tens of thousands of companies across the country, all while providing a seamless and delightful experience for our customers. As a backend engineer, you will be creating the systems that handle all the business logic to enable all that.
Almost all engineering teams at Gusto have backend engineers, so you will often work on features that involve many external-facing and internal-facing parts of the overall system. You’ll get to work on highly impactful projects inside the core of Gusto with other engineers, and also with our business and financial operations teams to drive the direction and efficiency of Gusto as a whole.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Work across the stack to architect, test, maintain and scale services and systems across Gusto
- Collaborate across various teams and disciplines to build the product that empowers 40,000+ small business across the country
- Level-up Gusto’s engineering practices
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 4+ years of experience designing and building high-throughput systems that scale
- Passion for engineering best practices such as code quality and automated testing
- Comfort and experience with building and working with APIs
- Comfort and experience with debugging production systems
- Highly collaborative mindset
- Willingness to be held to a high standard, and reciprocate to others on the team
- Bonus: Experience with Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Kafka
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.
We are Gusto Founded in 2011, Gusto provides payroll, benefits and HR to modern companies. We have offices in San Francisco and Denver, but thanks to our 40,000 small business customers and their employees, there’s a little piece of us in all 50 states. We believe that humans aren’t resources. When we come to work, we don’t leave our humanity at the door. We bring life with us: our feats and friendships, our adventures and aspirations. Great businesses treat us like people, not ID numbers. When that happens, work becomes a source of energy rather than fatigue. It creates a virtuous cycle where life improves work, and work improves our lives. That’s why we started Gusto. Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life.