Senior Internal Communications Partner
Gusto, Denver, San Francisco, New York City, Remote
It’s time to tame the chaos of payroll, benefits, and HR.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We are building our Internal Communications team at Gusto and are looking for an expert communicator to help build and scale our internal communications function for our fast-growing company.
As an Internal Communicator at Gusto, you will be responsible for helping our more than 1,600 Gusties stay informed, feel connected and engaged, and share a sense of purpose. Your role will be critical in scaling our culture and values as we continue to grow and embrace the Future of Work. Your goal will be to increase employee engagement, partner on company-wide internal communications, apply a strategic lens to channel mix, and connect our company strategy and narrative to key groups of Gusties. You’re able to lead through influence and see around corners to help us continue scaling successfully. You will serve as a trusted advisor and thought partner to senior leaders, reporting to the Head of Internal Communications.
Internal comms is about both empathy and understanding; you should have an extraordinary ear for language and tone, acumen for moments of storytelling and moments of concision, and a business-focused style that resonates with a data-informed team. We’re looking for a candidate who can fluidly understand tech industry terms and communicate using universally understood language; a bridge between the tech and non-tech worlds. We fundamentally believe that to be great at internal communications, you must be able to capture what is unique about a specific company and translate those nuances into the connective tissue of an organization.
Internal comms is also about strategy, and the ideal candidate brings a great deal of strategic acumen to this role. You will be instrumental in helping to ensure Gusto’s strategy is effectively shared so that it feels clear and aligned for all Gusties. You will also be opinionated about driving communications programs and channels to support a strong culture and engagement.
What it is like to Work with Gusto
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Be part of a team of communications professionals who support inclusive business unit, corporate, people/culture, and executive communications.
- Work with Gusto’s Chief People Officer, CEO Team, and executive team to ensure our strategy is clearly communicated to our employees and aligned across the organization.
- Build and implement strategic internal communications plans & campaigns for business needs.
- Support company-wide communications processes and manage company communications channels.
- Work across the business to discover, curate, and share compelling stories about our company, our product, our technology, and our people.
- Partner closely with our external communications and PR team to ensure exquisite alignment of messaging and a holistic communications approach on all internal and external communications.
- Work closely with Gusto leaders to advise them and support communications to their organizations.
- Help engage Gusties across multiple Homebases and ensure the scale of our communications as our footprint grows in a hybrid and increasingly distributed work environment.
- Leverage various internal communications tools to maximize engagement.
- Keep your finger on the pulse of internal chatter, as well as local, industry, and competitor news.
- Coordinate multiple streams of information, weaving complex ideas into a story that can be easily understood by a diverse internal audience.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 7+ years of communications experience – ideally focused on internal communications, executive communications, and/or employee experience.
- High emotional intelligence, matched with the ability to execute.
- An innovative approach to developing success metrics and demonstrated ability to influence successful outcomes.
- A solid understanding of how to build a communications plan engaging multiple stakeholders to implement successfully.
- Ability to build collaborative working relationships with staff at all levels of the organization and develop strong professional relationships and networks externally.
- Exceptional written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Experience working with and influencing senior leaders.
- Experience working for a high-growth, scaling tech company.
- Experience working with an employee base distributed across multiple locations.
- Nice to have: people management experience - including hiring and scaling a communications team.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $105,000 - $130,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $128,000-$158,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected]
We are Gusto Founded in 2011, Gusto provides payroll, benefits and HR to modern companies. We have offices in San Francisco and Denver, but thanks to our 40,000 small business customers and their employees, there’s a little piece of us in all 50 states. We believe that humans aren’t resources. When we come to work, we don’t leave our humanity at the door. We bring life with us: our feats and friendships, our adventures and aspirations. Great businesses treat us like people, not ID numbers. When that happens, work becomes a source of energy rather than fatigue. It creates a virtuous cycle where life improves work, and work improves our lives. That’s why we started Gusto. Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life.
Want to learn more about Gusto? Visit Gusto's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one