Head of Engineering, Members Segment
Gusto, Denver, CO; New York City, NY; San Francisco, CA
It’s time to tame the chaos of payroll, benefits, and HR.
We’re looking for a strategic and inspirational engineering leader to empower and scale the engineering teams that are building Gusto’s next big thing.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
About the role
We’re growing a new business that’s focused on the millions of employees and contractors that utilize the Gusto platform, who we refer to as “members.” The Members business unit is already a standalone, multi-million dollar revenue generating business that’s growing rapidly. This business unit will be one of the key contributors to Gusto’s next phase of growth and will reach revenue in the hundred of millions over the next several years.
You’ll focus on two new product areas for Gusto: (1) Our financial products and (2) our consumer mobile app, which are aimed at empowering personal prosperity for employees of our small business customers. The primary financial product is Gusto Wallet, which offers employees a suite of financial wellness tools as well as management of their payroll, benefits and HR functionality.
You will be the engineering leader for this business, reporting directly to the GM of the Members Segment. Our engineering teams are focused on building our core credit, banking, financial wellness and infrastructure capabilities. You will also be responsible for working collaboratively with other cross-functional teams and leaders to bring and enhance our web experience for employees natively into the mobile app.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Hire, lead and scale our segment engineering organization.
- Work cross functionally with design leadership and product management leadership to drive the segment’s vision and strategy
- Work with cross-functional partners in engineering leadership and data science leadership to realize the vision
- Responsible for driving the development of product and core platform in a fast paced, start-up environment
- Providing technical leadership in defining the product and platform solutions
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 15+ years software engineering experience
- 7+ years software engineering management experience. 5+ years leading other engineering managers
- Experience in scaling engineering organizations with a focus on individual and team development
- Web & Mobile app development expertise, including release management, observability, and performance
- Ability to balance business needs, development for multiple product lines, and shipping high quality solutions
- Experience in highly cross-functional environments for highly complex products preferred.
- Experience in mobile, growth, core infrastructure (payments, fraud, credit) and, user experience optimization preferred.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $215,000-$247,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $240,000-$282,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected]
We are Gusto Founded in 2011, Gusto provides payroll, benefits and HR to modern companies. We have offices in San Francisco and Denver, but thanks to our 40,000 small business customers and their employees, there’s a little piece of us in all 50 states. We believe that humans aren’t resources. When we come to work, we don’t leave our humanity at the door. We bring life with us: our feats and friendships, our adventures and aspirations. Great businesses treat us like people, not ID numbers. When that happens, work becomes a source of energy rather than fatigue. It creates a virtuous cycle where life improves work, and work improves our lives. That’s why we started Gusto. Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life.
Want to learn more about Gusto? Visit Gusto's website.
Payroll Services. Benefits. Compliance.