What does a Machine Learning Engineer do at Handshake?
You are a pragmatic experimenter - someone who is deeply passionate about Handshake’s mission, and motivated to get their hands dirty to test and productize new features: job recommendations, search quality, career path builders, fraud detection, you name it.
You will enjoy working with an incredibly rich and fast-growing data set:
- Entity graph and metadata of universities and hundreds of thousands of employers, from Fortune 500 to small-and-medium businesses
- Comprehensive student profiles, interest graphs and rich interaction data from millions of students growing exponentially every year
- A growing repository of user-generated content
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on at Handshake
- Wrangle all of the data :-)
- Build & Experiment: Apply the best methodology and tools available (Spark, Airflow, TensorFlow etc). Build proof-of-concepts, and measure results against hypothesis.
- Collaborate & Ship Products: Make educated trade-offs, and work closely with product and engineering teams to quickly iterate and ship features.
- User-focused: Always focus on user impact. We are building the best platform to democratize career opportunities for students and young professionals.
- Leadership: Mentor junior members and help build a strong data team and culture.
What we look for
- Bold, builder mentality.
- 2+ years of shipping machine learning code, with at least 4+ years software engineering experience
- Experience with large data sets and distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop/Spark) a plus.
- Experience building and tuning search engines and recommendation engines a big plus.
- Ability to independently initiate and drive projects to completion.
- Ability to communicate the results of analyses in a clear and effective manner.
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, or related quantitative field. Advanced degrees preferred, but not required.
- Stock: Sizable ownership in a fast-growing company.
- Family Focus: Parental leave (12 weeks maternity / 4 weeks paternity), and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard working, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Handshake Company Values
Our mission is to democratize access to opportunity and ensure any student can build a great career no matter who they know, where they live or what school they attend. We empathize deeply with our students to increase career opportunities for all.
Focus on Impact
We stay humble and work hard to democratize opportunity for all students. We like to have fun - and we do! - but we’re more focused on making an impact. Yes, of course, we have a ping-pong table - it’s just packed away in the closet!
Move Quickly, But Don’t Rush
We believe speed wins, and our operational pace is incredibly fast. Moving quickly while staying aligned requires strategic thought, collaboration, and frequent communication.
Learn. Grow. Repeat.
We embrace a growth mindset, enabling our team to face obstacles with a tenacious desire to turn challenges into opportunities for growth. We are relentlessly curious, working to close the gap between what we currently know and what we need to know to be as effective as possible.
Act with Empathy
We listen closely to understand our users and clients, approach challenges with curiosity, and treat our colleagues and clients with compassion.
Empowered by Diversity
We are building an inclusive & diverse community - both on the Handshake platform and across our team. We believe diverse teams create more thoughtful and innovative solutions and that diverse companies are more successful.
How we got started Handshake was started in 2014 by Garrett Lord, Scott Ringwelski and Ben Christensen - three students from Michigan Tech, an engineering school in the far reaches of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Surrounded by more than 200 inches of annual snowfall and an eight-hour drive from Chicago or Detroit, Michigan Tech doesn’t see many recruiters from outside of the Midwest. Garrett was particularly frustrated about the difficulty Michigan Tech engineering students faced in getting in the door at top tech companies. So after hustling nonstop to get a Silicon Valley internship of his own, he took matters into his own hands and started brokering intros for his classmates to Bay Area companies. He earned $60k in referral bonuses in less than a year, and paid his way through college. Encouraged by the impact one person could make at one campus, Garrett, Scott, and Ben bought an old car and drove to college campuses across the country. They learned that students, employers and career centers were all frustrated by the current process, particularly how student access to opportunities was so unequal. So they formed Handshake to transform university recruiting for the 20 million higher education students across the country and ensure that every student would have the same access to every job, no matter where they go to school. Today, Handshake is a fast-growing team of 80 based in San Francisco. We partner with 400+ universities, uniting them into one powerful network, which makes it easy for 200,000 companies to recruit efficiently beyond their traditional “core” schools, increasing the breadth and scope of opportunities for our 8,000,000 students, and giving our partner universities the data and tools they need to help their students build meaningful careers.
Want to learn more about Handshake? Visit Handshake's website.
Jobs You May Like
Automation Test Analyst
Melbourne IT, Sydney
Lead iOS Engineer
Upthere, Redwood City, CA
Sales Engineer- Bay Area or LA
Paxata, Redwood City
Network Engineer III
Datto, Norwalk, CT, Boston, MA, Rochester, NY
Process Engineering Padawan (1 year internship)
Ginkgo Bioworks, Boston, MA
Sr. Front End Engineer, Creator Tools
Vimeo, New York, NY