What does a Senior Product Designer do at Handshake?
You’ll rely on user-centered design principles to produce high-quality Design work— from concept to execution — across many platforms. Like all of our UX jobs, you’ll collaborate with your fellow designers to conceptualize and define the first Handshake Design Language System and create innovative products that people love to use.
- You will create and implement key product design work across various Handshake products for students and employers
- You will be involved in every aspect of the product development process, from brainstorming the next great product innovation to tweaking pixels right before launch.
- You will be expected to utilize your full range of product and interaction design skills, and you will own the Handshake product experience
- The ideal candidate is an expert in UI/UX design and is passionate about bringing next-generation technologies to life
- Take broad, conceptual ideas and turn them into something useful and valuable for our users
- Create and optimize complex user flows, developing intuitive and elegant experiences for software consumer and enterprise integration
- Contribute to high-level strategic decisions and oversee the user experience of a product from
- conception until launch (and then some)
- Able to identify and address UX needs across programs
- Give and solicit feedback from other designers in order to continually raise our bar for quality
- Act as a team of one
- Rapidly prototype
Please include URLs for an online portfolio in addition to resume. Submissions without a portfolio included will not be considered.
What we look for
- You possess excellent communication skills (you should be able to clearly articulate your design decisions)
- The ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision
- Experience in building and shipping applications or software
- Highest level of proficiency with current design tools and software application
- A strong portfolio demonstrating creativity and mastery of great user-centered design
- Thrives in fast-paced startup environments where passion for great experience leads all design & development
- Self-motivated, collaborative, able to envision and create great work with tentative or incomplete knowledge of constraints
- Stock: Sizable ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave (12 weeks maternity / 4 weeks paternity), and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Handshake Company Values
Our mission is to democratize access to opportunity and ensure any student can build a great career no matter who they know, where they live or what school they attend. We empathize deeply with our students to increase career opportunities for all.
Focus on Impact
We stay humble and work hard to democratize opportunity for all students. We like to have fun - and we do! - but we’re more focused on making an impact. Yes, of course we have a ping-pong table - it’s just packed away in the closet!
Move Quickly, But Don’t Rush
We believe speed wins, and our operational pace is incredibly fast. Moving quickly while staying aligned requires strategic thought, collaboration, and frequent communication.
Learn. Grow. Repeat.
We embrace a growth mindset, enabling our team to face obstacles with a tenacious desire to turn challenges into opportunities for growth. We are relentlessly curious, working to close the gap between what we currently know and what we need to know to be as effective as possible.
Act with Empathy
We listen closely to understand our users and clients, approach challenges with curiosity, and treat our colleagues and clients with compassion.
Empowered by Diversity
We are building an inclusive & diverse community - both on the Handshake platform and across our team. We believe diverse teams create more thoughtful and innovative solutions and that diverse companies are more successful.
How we got started Handshake was started in 2014 by Garrett Lord, Scott Ringwelski and Ben Christensen - three students from Michigan Tech, an engineering school in the far reaches of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Surrounded by more than 200 inches of annual snowfall and an eight-hour drive from Chicago or Detroit, Michigan Tech doesn’t see many recruiters from outside of the Midwest. Garrett was particularly frustrated about the difficulty Michigan Tech engineering students faced in getting in the door at top tech companies. So after hustling nonstop to get a Silicon Valley internship of his own, he took matters into his own hands and started brokering intros for his classmates to Bay Area companies. He earned $60k in referral bonuses in less than a year, and paid his way through college. Encouraged by the impact one person could make at one campus, Garrett, Scott, and Ben bought an old car and drove to college campuses across the country. They learned that students, employers and career centers were all frustrated by the current process, particularly how student access to opportunities was so unequal. So they formed Handshake to transform university recruiting for the 20 million higher education students across the country and ensure that every student would have the same access to every job, no matter where they go to school. Today, Handshake is a fast-growing team of 80 based in San Francisco. We partner with 400+ universities, uniting them into one powerful network, which makes it easy for 200,000 companies to recruit efficiently beyond their traditional “core” schools, increasing the breadth and scope of opportunities for our 8,000,000 students, and giving our partner universities the data and tools they need to help their students build meaningful careers.