Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 800 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
What does a University Success Manager do at Handshake?
As a University Success Manager, you are responsible for ensuring your university partners are healthy, happy, successful, and retained. This position can be performed from one of our four offices in San Francisco, New York, Chicago or Denver. You are directly responsible for:
- Owning the core relationship and ultimate success with a defined segment of university partners
- Cultivating meaningful, trusting relationships with key partners
- Effectively navigating a complex and nuanced set of relationships to build and maintain trust at scale
- Implementing the program of recurring and on-demand touch points with customers
- Consulting with university partners on their workflows to help them adapt their processes to the Handshake product and achieve student success
- Gathering, documenting, and sharing best practices on how university partners can better leverage the platform to drive student engagement
- Deeply learning the career services space (operations, structure, and metrics)
- Answering questions regarding the Handshake product daily
- Identifying, diagnosing, and helping customers resolve data health issues
- Expanding and deepening product adoption and usage amongst your career center partners
- Responding to detailed inquiries that require leveraging technical product knowledge combined with your strategic understanding of Handshake and our goals
Partner Success, Health, and Retention
- Understanding trends with your accounts via data reporting and dashboards and taking appropriate actions to keep account health high
- Ensuring successful implementation for all new partners in your book of business
- Ensuring high renewal rates
- Articulating the health status of partners in your book of business at any given moment. Tracking detailed subjective health assessments to pair with data-driven account health score.
- Collaborating across the Handshake organization to ensure that customer needs are met in an efficient and timely manner.
- Providing effective project management and training to hundreds of higher education partners
- Executing implementation calls and training webinars with your university partners
Operations and Marketing
- Helping scale internal processes to support hundreds of users
- Assisting with content creation for marketing collateral to university partners
- You will create repeatable and reusable tactics for driving engagement across our university partners' teams, which could include everything from webinars, email nurture, product hooks, etc. You will channel the voice of customer both quantitative and qualitative to rally the necessary people and highlight success.
- You will report to the Manager of University Success, working closely with customer support, operations and marketing to deliver a world-class customer experience and drive our business through renewals and expansions.
What qualities are we looking for?
- Extremely gritty--works hard, quickly, learns relentlessly
- Highly articulate, polished, and professional communicator
- Experience with SaaS or higher education
- Able to drive customer onboarding, implementation and consultation.
- Extremely detail-oriented and diligent
- Able to quickly internalize changing messaging and rapidly incorporate into customer convos
- Does not get frustrated easily by lack of internal processes
- Able to receive feedback maturely and iterate quickly to continuously improve
- Able to leverage business acumen to guide prioritization
- Highly intuitive and high EQ
- Highly curious with “discovery” mindset
- Able to strategize independently
- Has a high degree of technical aptitude
- Able to think critically about the customer’s needs
- Adds value to the CSM team through their energy and enthusiasm
- Able to provide ideas for improving internal team structure
- Has a high degree of collaborative spirit
- Analytical, methodical approach to identifying challenges and measuring impact
- Stock: Sizable ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Family Focus: Parental leave (12 weeks primary caregiver / 4 weeks secondary caregiver), and flexibility for families.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Tech Goodies: Hardware and software to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
How we got started Handshake was started in 2014 by Garrett Lord, Scott Ringwelski and Ben Christensen - three students from Michigan Tech, an engineering school in the far reaches of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Surrounded by more than 200 inches of annual snowfall and an eight-hour drive from Chicago or Detroit, Michigan Tech doesn’t see many recruiters from outside of the Midwest. Garrett was particularly frustrated about the difficulty Michigan Tech engineering students faced in getting in the door at top tech companies. So after hustling nonstop to get a Silicon Valley internship of his own, he took matters into his own hands and started brokering intros for his classmates to Bay Area companies. He earned $60k in referral bonuses in less than a year, and paid his way through college. Encouraged by the impact one person could make at one campus, Garrett, Scott, and Ben bought an old car and drove to college campuses across the country. They learned that students, employers and career centers were all frustrated by the current process, particularly how student access to opportunities was so unequal. So they formed Handshake to transform university recruiting for the 20 million higher education students across the country and ensure that every student would have the same access to every job, no matter where they go to school. Today, Handshake is a fast-growing team of 80 based in San Francisco. We partner with 400+ universities, uniting them into one powerful network, which makes it easy for 200,000 companies to recruit efficiently beyond their traditional “core” schools, increasing the breadth and scope of opportunities for our 8,000,000 students, and giving our partner universities the data and tools they need to help their students build meaningful careers.