We’re thrilled to announce Handshake’s $80M Series E funding round. From the start, we’ve made it our mission to break down barriers and create equitable access to great jobs. We’re expanding our mission to build a platform students love, that helps early talent of all backgrounds receive access to opportunities – no matter who they know or where they go to school.
Handshake is the number one site for college students to find a job. Today, the Handshake community includes 18 million students and young alumni at over 1,000 colleges and universities. We connect up-and-coming talent across all 50 states with nearly 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake — from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of small businesses, nonprofits, startups, and more. Handshake is democratizing opportunity and ensuring college students have the support they need to find a great job and kick-off a meaningful career.
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
Want to learn more about what it's like to work at Handshake? Check out these interviews from our team members!
What does an Infrastructure Engineer do at Handshake?
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. We are looking for an Infrastructure Engineer who is an excellent operations engineer with a strong focus in automation. You'll be working with the Infrastructure team whose goal is to build and maintain our cloud infrastructure and collaborate across all of engineering to build a productive, reliable platform for product engineering.
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on at Handshake:
- Working with Product and Engineering peers to build an infrastructure platform that is reliable, scalable, performant, secure and productive.
- Maintaining and optimizing our databases including Postgres, Elasticsearch, Redis, and GCP Serverless Databases.
- Building networking infrastructure to support international expansion with world-class security, performance and maintainability.
- Automating infrastructure provisioning and configuration through tools like Terraform and Kubernetes.
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome oriented.
- You act with empathy when partnering with fellow engineers and coworkers.
- You have 5+ years experience in building consumer-facing web infrastructure in a dynamic development environment.
- You are passionate about building simple and fault-tolerant infrastructure.
- You have experience working in distributed, performant, at-scale backend systems.
- You are strong in Operations, but have passion and knowledge in automation and backend engineering.
- You appreciate good documentation and procedures.
- You have worked with ElasticSearch and .
Technologies you'll work with:
- Kubernetes, Terraform, GCP, AWS
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Pub/Sub, Elasticsearch
- Ruby on Rails, Golang
$132,979 - 159,734
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!
We value diversity of all kinds, and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Interested in what Handshake’s San Francisco HQ is like when we’re together? Check out this video:
Just browsing or not ready to apply? Keep in touch with us!
How we got started Handshake was started in 2014 by Garrett Lord, Scott Ringwelski and Ben Christensen - three students from Michigan Tech, an engineering school in the far reaches of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Surrounded by more than 200 inches of annual snowfall and an eight-hour drive from Chicago or Detroit, Michigan Tech doesn’t see many recruiters from outside of the Midwest. Garrett was particularly frustrated about the difficulty Michigan Tech engineering students faced in getting in the door at top tech companies. So after hustling nonstop to get a Silicon Valley internship of his own, he took matters into his own hands and started brokering intros for his classmates to Bay Area companies. He earned $60k in referral bonuses in less than a year, and paid his way through college. Encouraged by the impact one person could make at one campus, Garrett, Scott, and Ben bought an old car and drove to college campuses across the country. They learned that students, employers and career centers were all frustrated by the current process, particularly how student access to opportunities was so unequal. So they formed Handshake to transform university recruiting for the 20 million higher education students across the country and ensure that every student would have the same access to every job, no matter where they go to school. Today, Handshake is a fast-growing team of 80 based in San Francisco. We partner with 400+ universities, uniting them into one powerful network, which makes it easy for 200,000 companies to recruit efficiently beyond their traditional “core” schools, increasing the breadth and scope of opportunities for our 8,000,000 students, and giving our partner universities the data and tools they need to help their students build meaningful careers.
Want to learn more about Handshake? Visit Handshake's website.
The social news and entertainment company.