Senior Software Engineer, Rails
Harry’s, New York, NY
German engineered blades and shaving cream online for a fair price
Harry’s is looking for a talented, experienced Senior Software Engineer to join our Platform team to focus on building out our web application and associated systems. The Platform Engineering team at Harry’s is responsible for building the software to support all e-commerce activities: from building customer-facing, responsive interfaces to tools for managing fulfillment and order processing.
We need someone who can step in and do some figurative heavy lifting on our Ruby on Rails application and step into a coach/mentor role for other engineers on the team. In this role, you’ll be ensuring that our technical capabilities keep pace with our business goals while keeping technical quality and engineering rigor front of mind. Systems and software you build will help us serve thoughtful and delightful customer experiences in a way our retail competitors cannot.
This should describe you:
- Have 5+ years (or equivalent) of web application and *nix development experience.
- Are an expert in the “full stack” of web application development, from HTTP to build tooling in a Ruby on Rails context.
- Are a player-coach who isn’t afraid to debug a gnarly situation, but can also step aside, delegate to, and mentor others.
- Have interest in managing people and have empathy for the human parts of software engineering.
- Have a wealth of experience working in small, agile teams, especially with people outside of engineering.
- Are pragmatic and understand the tradeoffs in making technical and architectural decisions. You check your ego at the door.
- Know at least one programming language in addition to Ruby and can speak at length about its approach and flaws.
What you will do:
- Work closely with our Product Management & Design teams to identify customer pain-points and solve them.
- Design and build systems to rapidly experiment and iterate on application needs – from user interfaces to message queues.
- Manage a team of 2-3 engineers, ensuring that they have and are working toward growth goals.
- Solve problems wherever they may be: whether in the “full stack” or in interpersonal communication.
- Participate in and taking ownership of our agile planning, code reviews, testing methodology, and on-call processes and think critically and constructively about how to improve and shape those processes.
- Work in an environment that fosters creative thought, business transparency and literacy, and analytical decision making. Also, we are fun.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.
Harry's is an evolved shaving company built out of respect for quality craftsmanship, simple design, modern convenience and most importantly for guys who know they shouldn't have to overpay for a great shave.
Want to learn more about Harry’s? Visit https://www.harrys.com/
Jobs You May Like
Technical Program Manager, Partner Delivery
Qualtrics , Dublin, Ireland
Mid-level Frontend ReactJS Engineer
Rover.com , Seattle
Senior Software Engineer - Web
Lumosity, San Francisco
Product Marketing MBA Intern
PlayStation, San Mateo, CA
Confluent, Palo Alto
Technical Lead, Software Engineering
Wizeline, Mexico City, Mexico