Support Engineer, Consul
LOCATION: REMOTE US
JOB DESCRIPTION: THAT’S A COOL JOB...I WANT IT
HashiCorp is looking for a high-caliber customer facing engineering professional to join its Support Engineering team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a small team and have a direct impact on Hashicorp’s fast growing business. This highly visible position will be an integral part of both the support engineering and Consul Open Source/Enterprise teams. You are a fit if you thrive in a fast-paced culture that values essential communication, collaboration, and results. You are a self-motivated, detail-oriented individual with an eye for automation, process improvement, and problem solving.
Reporting to the Support Engineering Manager, the Support Engineer will be a key member of the Customer Success organization and will directly impact customer satisfaction and success. The Support engineer will triage incoming issues related to Consul and Consul Enterprise and independently work to find viable solutions. They will contribute to product growth and development via weekly product and marketing meetings. The Support Engineer will attend customer meetings as needed to help identify, debug and resolve the customer issue and is expected to be a liaison between the customer and HashiCorp engineering. When possible the Support Engineer will update and improve product documentation, guide feature development, and implement bug fixes based on customer feedback.
RESPONSIBILITIES: I WANT TO DO THAT
- Triage and solve incoming support requests via Zendesk within SLA.
- Document and record all activity and communication with customers in accordance to both internal and external security standards.
- Reproduce and debug customer issues by using or building existing tooling or configuration. This is what you do the majority of your time in this role.
- Attend weekly product engineering meetings to discuss issues pertinent to support.
- Collaborate with engineers, sales engineers, sales representatives, and technical account managers to schedule, coordinate, and lead customer debugging calls.
- Contribute to product documentation, customer knowledge base, and best practices guides.
- Continuously improve process and tools for normal, repetitive support tasks.
- Periodic 24/7 on-call rotation ( one week in every two months )
GOALS: I CAN DO THAT
- Holistic understanding of Consul/Consul Enterprise/Consul Connect and the interaction with other Hashicorp Product Suite.
- Successfully perform all common work flows within Consul/Consul Connect.
- 1 contribution to extend or improve product documentation or install guides.
- Ability to answer Level 1 support inquiries with minimal assistance.
- Successfully play with all the elements in Consul Guide (https://www.consul.io/docs/guides/index.html).
- Ability to effectively triage and respond to Level 1 & 2 inquiries independently.
- Ability to provision and bootstrap Consul Cluster with Connect and all the advanced features without any assistance
- Ride along on 1-2 live customer debugging calls.
- Ability to debug at least one Consul issue without shadowing the Consul Engineers
- 1 customer knowledge base article from area of subject matter expertise.
- Ability to effectively triage and respond to a Sev1 issue with minimal assistance.
- Ability to take any Consul ticket without any sort of hand holding.
- Ability to independently find points of error and identify root cause by looking at the log files.
- Ability to create a bunch of KB articles that will benefit all the customers.
REQUIREMENTS: I’VE ALREADY DONE THAT OR HAVE THAT
- At least 3-5 years of DevOps Engineering, Software Engineering, or System Administration experience.
- Minimum of 3 yrs. Support Engineering.
- Solid understanding of Docker, Kubernetes and container-orchestration
- Experience with Consul and Envoy is a huge plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Technical writing experience a plus.
- Well-organized, has excellent work ethic, pays attention to detail, and self-starting.
- Solid understanding of Distributed System and Microservice architecture.
- Interest in cloud adoption and technology at scale.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, and troubleshooting skills.
EDUCATION: GOT IT
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, Technical Writing, or equivalent professional experience.
About HashiCorp and this opportunity
This is a full-time position with a highly competitive compensation and benefits package. You will have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and ambitious team. HashiCorp is a series D startup headquartered in San Francisco that is best known for creating a suite of software tools that help enterprise companies automate their infrastructure and helps them migrate to the cloud. HashiCorp’s software suite allows users to provision, secure and run any infrastructure for any application.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be. #LI-JN1
HashiCorp is a company based in San Francisco that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. Who We Are HashiCorp was founded by Mitchell Hashimoto and Armon Dadgar in 2012 with the goal of revolutionizing datacenter management: application development, delivery, and maintenance. The datacenter of today is very different than the datacenter of yesterday, and we think the datacenter of tomorrow is just around the corner. We're writing software to take you all the way from yesterday to today, and then safely to tomorrow and beyond. Physical, virtual, containers. Private cloud, public cloud, hybrid cloud. IaaS, PaaS, SaaS. Windows, Linux, Mac. These are just some of the choices faced when architecting a datacenter of today. And the choice is not one or the other; instead, it is often a combination of many of these. HashiCorp builds tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, and Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc. And we're committed to supporting next-generation technologies, as well. HashiCorp was founded and continues to be run by the primary authors of all our core technologies powering thousands of companies worldwide. We speak at conferences and write books related to application and infrastructure management. All our foundational technologies are open source and developed openly, and have been since 2010.