Software Engineer Intern
HashiCorp is a fast-growing startup that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. We build products to give organizations a consistent way to manage their move to cloud-based IT infrastructures for running their applications. Our products enable companies large and small to mix and match AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, and other clouds as well as on-premises environments, easing their ability to deliver new applications for their business.
About the Role
At HashiCorp, we value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
This role is for a Software Engineering Intern on one of the Vault, Terraform, or Cloud teams at HashiCorp. Each of these teams works on both open source and enterprise versions of each tool, programming primarily in Go with a focus on stability, reliability, performance, and security. Our infrastructure tools are used in critical environments and operated by a range of organizations and individuals to solve infrastructure management problems.
This role provides an opportunity to help design, prototype, and implement core features while ensuring the stability of the product across a range of use-cases. Our teams work can be viewed on GitHub in the products (for Vault, Terraform, or Consul) or in libraries our teams depend on, like raft, memberlist, and go-plugin.
In this role, you can expect to learn how to...
- Contribute to the HashiCorp community by providing code review, and support to HashiCorp employees, community members, and partners
- Advocate and support improvements to product APIs and core to improve development and integration of tools and plugins
- Build and architect systems for managing extremely large-scale global fleets of resources
- Work on issues and improvements critical to the success of HashiCorp customers and the broader community
- Own the full lifecycle of feature development from design through testing and release
- Program in Golang, learning from and contributing to a team committed to continually improving their skills
You may be a good fit for our team if you...
- Are currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent training in the United States
- Have academic or some professional experience working in a professional environment is preferred
- Have some proficiency in Go, Python, Java, or C++
- Have fundamental knowledge in security, distributed systems, service oriented architectures or schedulers
- Have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Have the ability to work in a fast paced, team-based environment
- Exhibit ownership in your work, including research and understanding of the problem space, collaborating with the team to come up with solutions, proactively communicating your progress to the team, and shipping the feature over the finish line
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Are well-organized, excellent work ethic, attention to detail, self-starting, and an ability to learn
- Are creative thinkers who also understand real-world products
- Have the constant desire to grow, learn, and explore new things
- Emulate the HashiCorp principles
Please submit a cover letter that demonstrates your writing skills and tells us about your interest in being part of the HashiCorp story.
At HashiCorp, we are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, please apply anyway! If you are interested in working on a specific tool or product, please note it in your cover letter. Candidates participate with hiring managers in team selection to ensure the right fit.
HashiCorp is a company based in San Francisco that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. Who We Are HashiCorp was founded by Mitchell Hashimoto and Armon Dadgar in 2012 with the goal of revolutionizing datacenter management: application development, delivery, and maintenance. The datacenter of today is very different than the datacenter of yesterday, and we think the datacenter of tomorrow is just around the corner. We're writing software to take you all the way from yesterday to today, and then safely to tomorrow and beyond. Physical, virtual, containers. Private cloud, public cloud, hybrid cloud. IaaS, PaaS, SaaS. Windows, Linux, Mac. These are just some of the choices faced when architecting a datacenter of today. And the choice is not one or the other; instead, it is often a combination of many of these. HashiCorp builds tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, and Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc. And we're committed to supporting next-generation technologies, as well. HashiCorp was founded and continues to be run by the primary authors of all our core technologies powering thousands of companies worldwide. We speak at conferences and write books related to application and infrastructure management. All our foundational technologies are open source and developed openly, and have been since 2010.
Want to learn more about HashiCorp? Visit HashiCorp's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos