Manager, Platform Engineering (SRE) - Terraform Cloud
HashiCorp, United States (Remote), Canada (Remote)
See jobs at HashiCorp
The Terraform Platform Engineering group is composed of Site Reliability Engineers and distributed systems engineers working on the Terraform Cloud hosted service. Our group ensures that the platform’s underlying infrastructure, data stores, and core foundational services are reliable, performant, and robust. We work closely with the engineering teams that ship features for both Terraform Cloud and the Terraform Enterprise on-premise product. Together, we comprise the Terraform Commercial organization within engineering.
As our group expands, we’re seeking a manager to lead the Platform Services team. This team is responsible for building and maintaining the dozen or so “core” services which compose the Terraform Cloud architecture and foundational layer upon which user-facing services are built. In addition to developing our own services, the team also fosters operational maturity efforts in conjunction with the product engineering teams working on Terraform Cloud. These efforts include documentation, training, and tooling related to service ownership, service-level SLO definitions, monitoring and observability, etc.
The Platform Engineering manager will be instrumental in shaping the future of the Platform Services team and their accomplishments, and will directly support the career growth and technical achievements of several talented and experienced engineers.
If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, we’d love to meet you! We have a large footprint and a quickly-growing user base, with lots of interesting problems and plenty of opportunities for growth and development.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Provide mission and direction for the team:
- Work with senior leadership to develop a roadmap which supports the organization’s yearly goals for both our own services and operational maturity of the user-facing TFC services
- Lead the SREs and software engineers in continuing to deliver forward-thinking projects and major improvements to our reliability and stability
- Foster the team’s growth:
- Mentor and coach the team, promoting their career growth and professional development
- Expand the team when needed, recruiting and interviewing new engineers which complement the team’s skills and experience
- Foster diversity, inclusion, and equity within the team and across our group
- Advocate for the team and their work:
- Work with other managers to understand shared dependencies, roadmap items, and potential blockers for the team
- Increase visibility for the team and publicly celebrate the team’s accomplishments
You’re a great fit if you have:
- Background in leading engineering teams for large-scale SaaS platforms
- Qualified opinions about driving observability, reliability, and availability for large-scale distributed systems
- Exposure to systems software and services written in Go
- An interest in building a support structure for engineers to help them succeed at their job
- A dedication to modeling and supporting a positive and healthy work life balance
- Interest in a management career track in a technical context
- Phenomenal communication skills for working across the organization, capable of building strong relationships with peers and leadership
- Experience managing a remote distributed team of reasonable size
How We Work
At HashiCorp, we operate according to a strong set of company principles, many of which are described in The Tao of HashiCorp. We value top-notch collaboration and communication skills, both among internal teams and in how we interact with our users. We take care to balance and be responsive to the needs of our open source community as well as our enterprise level customers.
Engineering at HashiCorp is largely a remote team, and this role is no exception. While prior experience working remotely isn't required, we are looking for team members who perform well given a high level of independence and autonomy.
About the Application Process
All work requires excellent written communication skills, remote work doubly so. For this reason, we request a cover letter for your application to be considered complete.
In your cover letter, please describe what draws you to working at HashiCorp and to this role in particular. Specifics of your past experience are great to include, too.
At HashiCorp, we are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, please apply anyway!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
HashiCorp is a company based in San Francisco that solves development, operations, and security challenges in infrastructure so organizations can focus on business-critical tasks. Who We Are HashiCorp was founded by Mitchell Hashimoto and Armon Dadgar in 2012 with the goal of revolutionizing datacenter management: application development, delivery, and maintenance. The datacenter of today is very different than the datacenter of yesterday, and we think the datacenter of tomorrow is just around the corner. We're writing software to take you all the way from yesterday to today, and then safely to tomorrow and beyond. Physical, virtual, containers. Private cloud, public cloud, hybrid cloud. IaaS, PaaS, SaaS. Windows, Linux, Mac. These are just some of the choices faced when architecting a datacenter of today. And the choice is not one or the other; instead, it is often a combination of many of these. HashiCorp builds tools to ease these decisions by presenting solutions that span the gaps. Our tools manage both physical machines and virtual machines, Windows, and Linux, SaaS and IaaS, etc. And we're committed to supporting next-generation technologies, as well. HashiCorp was founded and continues to be run by the primary authors of all our core technologies powering thousands of companies worldwide. We speak at conferences and write books related to application and infrastructure management. All our foundational technologies are open source and developed openly, and have been since 2010.
Want to learn more about HashiCorp? Visit HashiCorp's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.