Senior Software Engineer - Backend
Highfive, California (San Francisco Bay Area) or work from home
See jobs at Highfive
Highfive makes meetings better with video conferencing that’s insanely easy to use. Founded by two former Googlers and backed by the likes of Andreessen Horowitz, Google Ventures, and General Catalyst, Highfive developed an all-in-one hardware & software solution to fix the age-old problem of why the first 15 minutes of every meeting are a complete waste of time. We’ve got a strong team, a huge addressable market, and a differentiated product. All we need is you!
Highfive is a cloud-based service supporting tens of thousands of concurrent users in a mission-critical real-time communication application. We handle thousands of concurrent audio and video streams in an environment where every millisecond of latency and every dropped packet are crucial to the end-user experience. We succeed when we mask all of the required complexity completely behind a product that is super easy to use. Software engineering, particularly the backend service, is at the core of this problem. We are looking for talented individuals to bring their ideas, motivation, and hard work to our accomplished team.
Our backend technology stack is composed of a blend of homegrown technologies tailored to our specific requirements, alongside the best and latest commercial and open-source tools. Our only dogma is in building a delightful, dependable product for our users, and thus we use whatever tool is best for the job.
What you’ll be doing:
- Implement a distributed, low-latency server backend with 99.99% global uptime, much of which will be your own design
- Own the full software development lifecycle for user-facing features
- Constantly pay down technical debt and improve software development processes through tool development
- Constantly learn the latest trends and tools applicable to Highfive’s problem, evaluating and integrating them as appropriate
- Work with management to define and refine backend service technology roadmap
- Evangelize and educate best practices for maintainable high-concurrency server code among the rest of the software organization
- Experience and comfort working within a high concurrency and low latency cloud-based app
- Proven passion for everything you build to be elegant and maintainable, in architecture and implementation
- Intuition for and experience in design of highly fault-tolerant architecture of loosely-coupled services
- Fluency in Java or Scala, or a proven success at quickly learning a new programming language
- Strong individual contributor, self-motivated, and a proven team player
- Demonstrated eagerness to learn and develop new experience
- Experience supporting a distributed production backend with high uptime metrics
- Experience with backend systems for a real-time communication (RTC) application supporting low-latency video and audio streams
- Experience with multi-datacenter global service distribution footprints
Expertise with some of the following technologies:
- Container-based virtualization (Docker)
- Distributed resource management, coordination, and deployment tools (Mesos, Zookeeper, CoreOS, Marathon)
- Distributed pub/sub frameworks (Kafka)
- Distributed high-throughput key-value storage (Redis)
- Big data storage (Cassandra, Redshift, BigQuery) and processing (Cloud Dataflow, Spark)
- High-concurrency relational databases (PostgreSQL)
- Distributed log collection and analysis
- Advanced academic training in distributed systems, security, or a related field
We are headquartered in Redwood City, CA, but our team is highly distributed. We are looking for the best qualified individuals regardless of where you are. If you are in the Bay Area, plan to work from our office, but if you're remote, plan to work from home. As a company that makes a video conferencing product, we're very comfortable with remote work!
About us Highfive makes meetings awesome with insanely simple video conferencing built for your meeting rooms. Highfive is the easiest-to-use solution, with all-in-one hardware and intuitive cloud software that delivers high-quality collaboration and video conferencing. At a fraction of the cost of traditional systems, you can put Highfive in every room, not just the boardroom, and with it's per-room pricing (instead of per-user), it scales easily and predictably with your company. Highfive is one of the fastest growing companies in the collaboration space, and already making meetings awesome for thousands of organizations including Evernote, Expensify, Warby Parker, Harry's, Rue La La, and Betterment. Highfive is based in Redwood City, California and backed by GV (Google Ventures), Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, and Lightspeed Ventures.
Want to learn more about Highfive? Visit Highfive's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.