Software Engineer - Generalist
Highfive, California (San Francisco Bay Area) or work from home
See jobs at Highfive
Highfive makes meetings better with video conferencing that’s insanely easy to use. Founded by two former Googlers and backed by the likes of Andreessen Horowitz, Google Ventures, and General Catalyst, Highfive developed an all-in-one hardware & software solution to fix the age-old problem of why the first 15 minutes of every meeting are a complete waste of time. We’ve got a strong team, a huge addressable market, and a differentiated product. All we need is you!
At Highfive, our mission is to make every work conversation face-to-face, and we think the best way to do that is to make video conferencing something delightful that you look forward to using, instead of the combination of boring and terrifying that exists today.
We build apps for desktop and mobile, as well as our own conference room device and cloud service. With a small team and a big mission, everyone on the team works on different parts of the stack and takes a lot of responsibility for user delight.
Our engineering team works as small cross-functional squads to ship most of our projects, be the user facing features or pure technology improvements. The best kind of engineer for such a team is a full stack generalist comfortable with learning new codebases and languages, and capable of both heads-down engineering and empathy for the customer.
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop new media and collaboration features using the latest web, backend and media technologies.
- Own the full software development lifecycle for projects
- Constantly pay down technical debt and improve software development processes through tool development
- Constantly learn the latest trends and tools applicable to Highfive’s problem, evaluating and integrating them as appropriate
- Evangelize and educate best practices for full stack development among the rest of the software organization
- Experience and comfort working with non-trivial full stack web applications.
- Proven passion for everything you build to be elegant and maintainable, in architecture and implementation
- Intuition for and experience in design of media, communication or other data-heavy applications.
- Computer Science or related degree preferred
- Experience with a real-time communication (RTC) application supporting video, audio and/or screensharing
- Expertise with some of the following technologies:
- OpenGL / WebGL
- Electron or other web application containers
- Developing web services with Java/Scala
We are headquartered in Redwood City, CA, but our team is highly distributed. We are looking for the best qualified individuals regardless of where you are. If you are in the Bay Area, plan to work from our office, but if you're remote, plan to work from home. As a company that makes a video conferencing product, we're very comfortable with remote work!
About us Highfive makes meetings awesome with insanely simple video conferencing built for your meeting rooms. Highfive is the easiest-to-use solution, with all-in-one hardware and intuitive cloud software that delivers high-quality collaboration and video conferencing. At a fraction of the cost of traditional systems, you can put Highfive in every room, not just the boardroom, and with it's per-room pricing (instead of per-user), it scales easily and predictably with your company. Highfive is one of the fastest growing companies in the collaboration space, and already making meetings awesome for thousands of organizations including Evernote, Expensify, Warby Parker, Harry's, Rue La La, and Betterment. Highfive is based in Redwood City, California and backed by GV (Google Ventures), Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, and Lightspeed Ventures.
Want to learn more about Highfive? Visit Highfive's website.
Great Prices. Better Cars. Shipped to You.